• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

TheStarvingArtist

Weekend in Montreal – What Shouldn't I Miss?

30 posts in this topic

those who prefer ketchup on there fries, well OK

but try this: 'Cocktail Sauce' ( you know for shrimp ) with a decent amount of horseradish and a drop or two of lemon

try that.

We ate dinner at Joe Beef a few weeks ago and it was out of this world good! I know you have returned from your trip but this is for anyone planning on going to Montreal. Joe Beef is a not to miss place. Reserve early! Anthony Bourdain calls it the best restaurant in town and my local friends agree.

Paul Eggermann

Vice President, Secretary and webmaster

Les Marmitons of New Jersey

Here are a few pics from 3 weeks ago:

That is BEAUTIFUL. Yum.

Upstate NY is very much fun. I can recommend Doug's Fish Fry in Skaneatales. And for a crazy old-fashioned NY Italian place, Delmonicos in Syracuse -- the waitresses dress like mobsters with black fishnet stockings and the servings are enormous -- they're known for steaks, which are good, but the local specialty "Chicken Rigis" (rigatoni with chicken in a cream sauce with artichokes and peppers) is excellent. Also, I always enjoy ordering "rigis".

Call me a local, but if you're looking for a fish fry in upstate NY, you'd be better off going to Rudy's in Oswego than to any of the Doug's locations.

MelissaH

Interesting. Next time if we make it NE enough we'll try Rudy's. The Skaneatales Doug's has such a great location and ambience, and the beer and ice cream is good, we really enjoy it. It's a natural stop for us and we just love the town and the lake.

Bump.  Any new recommendations out there?  I'll be in Montreal later this week and will have a lunch and dinner on my own over the weekend.  Staying downtown but don't mind a taxi or subway ride if it's worthwhile.