• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend in Montreal – What Shouldn't I Miss?

12 hours ago, Darienne said:

Just down the street from the Main Florist.  My Grandmother started the store many many decades ago on the Main (St. Laurence). 

You mean...

In 1910, Alta Goldberg opened a small florist shop on Montreal’s St. Laurent Blvd. The store took its name from the street, commonly referred to as “The Main.” Though a lot has changed from Main Florist’s humble beginnings, some things still remain the same. Personalized service, creativity, innovation and an unwavering commitment to quality were the cornerstones laid by Alta. Four generations later, great-grandson Louis Goldberg still adheres to these cornerstones of success…albeit with a modern twist that employs the latest technology.

As North America’s oldest florist still run by the same founding family, Louis Goldberg is keenly aware of his family’s long, proud tradition. “I feel an extra responsibility to our customers and our family. It’s not just about success. It’s about remaining loyal to the traditions that our customers expect in times that are rapidly changing.”

Pretty cool, @Darienne...https://www.mainflorist.com/about-us/

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Wow !

21 ( U.S. ? ) for a hot smoked meat

platter ?

it did look tasty.

Well, that is Canadian dollars, @rotuts. But price creep is as evident in Montreal (restaurants) as it is almost everywhere.

@MetsFan5 - you'll be happy to know that there are many more dispensaries now than there were on our last trip, when we had to schlep up to Laval to find one that was easy to get into. (And, they take credit cards!)

And right across the street from our AirBnB...

image.thumb.jpeg.741dff8e292df951b9b636d7b43b5b23.jpeg

They discourage taking stuff across the border, but why would anyone bother at this point?

140786486_IMG_7176(1).thumb.jpeg.eca76ac37ac4af2feefb6bff6f774f18.jpeg

We visited one of my favorite people...

image.thumb.jpeg.189c43b33af87d838343f562f6a967f9.jpeg

On a rainy day, we were the only ones there, which was perfect.

• Like 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

some day

Ill get glasses .

I hope.

its was lb  not US

I hope you're sitting down, but at Katz's, pastrami is $38/lb. sliced.  However, if you buy a whole pastrami, it gets under $25/lb.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Confused 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

the days of S&S corned beef @ 1.49 USD

are long over. 

I gave it a great deal of thought of trying to

dupe MHSM  .  I knew Id never get it right.

and to me MHSM  is different than any

of the so delicious Pastramis in NYC.

as I have been to Schwartz's

I think three times , hopefully 4

red vinyl seats , w duct tape

very little to no waiting 

and Im sure the same Gents 

poking and slicing the meat 

right there in the Spa 

I got medium 

and am still here 

• Haha 1

As weinoo said, we were in Montreal (for the month of May) & got around.  Lots of great murals - we even took a mural walking tour that was well worth it.  Loved Schwartz's, did not like the bagels from any of the famous places - not St Viateur or Fairmount.  They put honey in the water, makes them too sweet.  And they are way too dense for me. 

Lots of good eating.  Actually, when you get away from the skyscraper/Bell Center area, the neighborhoods of Montreal remind me a lot of the neighborhoods of Brooklyn.  For me, that's a good thing.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Steve R. said:

And they are way too dense for me. 

Lots of good eating.  Actually, when you get away from the skyscraper/Bell Center area, the neighborhoods of Montreal remind me a lot of the neighborhoods of Brooklyn.  For me, that's a good thing.

I think we have a different definition of dense. There's no there there, in my opinion.

As well as Brooklyn, which has way many more large apartment buildings in neighborhoods than Montreal does, don't you think?

I find it to be a better restaurant city than the one I live in (to say nothing of the rest of the US) - much more satisfying, fun, and less pretentious than where we live.

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@Steve R. maybe I took too many treats home from Montreal but I am really bewildered by the murals. Is that Kramer from Seinfield? A random famous Canadian I have never heard of? An odd interpretation of Anthony Bourdain? 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)

51 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

@Steve R. maybe I took too many treats home from Montreal but I am really bewildered by the murals. Is that Kramer from Seinfield? A random famous Canadian I have never heard of? An odd interpretation of Anthony Bourdain? 

Leonard Cohen?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou