• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Mail Order Spice Houses

Dexter

I've been wondering about peoples opinions and preferences for some of the on-line and mail-order spice purveyors around. I've been a long-time Penzey's fan, and the local stores have stocked my pantry for years. Much beyond them, I find myself more or less just searching by single ingredient, and have had mixed results overall.

So, gulleters: What are your go-to spice retailers? And, equally importantly, are there any that you'd absolutely avoid?

If I'm in the neighborhood of a store, Penzey's is fine. But if I'm going to mail order, I prefer The Spice House. Same family, different sibling. Less fancy packaging, great quality, generally a little less expensive.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I really like the Spice House too.

I have a Penzey's near me and for the few spices that I don't get from my local Asian grocers, I generally choose to mail order from The Spice House over buying from Penzey's - not that Penzey's is bad, but The Spice House seems fresher. I recommend their paprikas particularly.

Whole Spice has a good selection (including Long Pepper, Grains of Paradise, and various types of middle-eastern dried peppers that even Penzey's doesn't carry). They sent me unrequested junk email after I ordered from them, which was annoying, but the quality of the product seems good.

Any suggestions for somewhat more specialized things, like vanilla beans / paste, or saffron?

And, I know it's not exactly spices, but I've been pretty happy with Modernist Pantry for some things that I keep in the same part of the cabinet with my spices. They've been decently to competitively priced, and I haven't had to buy kilos of stuff to experiment with. Chris over there has been more responsive and attentive than the people at Le Sanctuaire were, and I have been really impressed with their honest attempts to source things that I've asked for in the past.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Penzey's does provide good quality products, but their prices are (IMHO) quite high. We have purchased from Monterey Bay Spice Co and San Francisco Herb Co and have been quite pleased with both the quality and value offered.