• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Specialty Foods

I went to Pacific Food Importers (thank you NSM) today to stock up on almond paste and Callebaut. What a great value. :rolleyes: Silly me, I've always been a Larry's Market shopper for most specialty food items. It got me thinking about all the specialty shops and little hideaway stores, etc. that may be specific to neighborhood or specialty....the kind of place sometimes known only by word of mouth. I'm really interesting in hearing about all the places to shop at. Any thoughts?

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

I think Larry's has really gone down hill this year. They greatly reduced the number of items they carry, especially in the meat and bulk drygoods departments. They don't seem like much more than a standard supermarket these days.

Whole foods has great produce, bulk drygoods (amazing spice collection), and dairy/cheese.

Central Market (which totally and completely rocks) in Shoreline would be my grocery store of choice if only they were a little closer to home - great wines, produce, seafood, meat, bulk items, and asian foods.

Of course I stop by Trader Joe's a couple times a month to stock up on certain high quality items that they have way cheaper than anywhere else.

By the way, The Seattle Times had a story earlier this year saying Costco would be opening a huge "gourmet" food store in Kirkland, I think next year.

Wow, Costco and gourmet? Interesting.

I agree that Larry's has gone downhill. I generally use them for things like Chestnut Puree, chocolates and an occasional lunch. Trader Joe's is my favorite, because they carry unique items at a great price and shopping is much more fun when sampling all the goodies they put out.

A long time ago Cost Plus was a good resource for some things, but it seems that they too have gone downhill.

I'm so glad we have our beloved Pike's Place Market. What would one do without all the fresh produce and seafood we are so lucky to have up here in the NW

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

Wholefoods and Di Laurenti's are my places to go for specialty things. Wholefoods has a surprisingly wide range of stuff, from Normandy butter to truffles to exotic cheeses (and excellent wines). Their meat and fish departments are very good, too. Uwajimaya also has some goodies (not just Asian, either), and are often cheaper than other places.

- S

Wholefoods and Di Laurenti's are my places to go for specialty things.  Wholefoods has a surprisingly wide range of stuff, from Normandy butter to truffles to exotic cheeses (and excellent wines).   Their meat and fish departments are very good, too.  Uwajimaya also has some goodies (not just Asian, either), and are often cheaper than other places.

Forgot about Di Laurenti's and Uwajimaya - good call, Fish. Di Laurenti's is especially good for really obscure ingredients. For example, they are the only store in the state of Washington that carries orange bitters for cocktails.

Nightscotsman, I think that I read about that being bellevue. But I would love it to be kirkland!

You're right Ben, I guess I was thinking of the furniture store that Costco may be working on in Kirkland?

For an out of the way surprise, try Olives Gourmet Foods in Edmonds (just North of Seattle) They have a fantastic olive bar, over 50 cheeses from around the world and spices, oils, vinegars and more that I have a hard time finding anywhere else. Now I do not have to drive 20 minutes to find some good food.

For an out of the way surprise, try Olives Gourmet Foods in Edmonds (just North of Seattle)  They have a fantastic olive bar, over 50 cheeses from around the world and spices, oils, vinegars and more that I have a hard time finding anywhere else.  Now I do not have to drive 20 minutes to find some good food.

Thanks for the awesome tip! I work in Mukilteo and will have to check that place out!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

• 2 weeks later...

Fish turned me on to PFI and Whole Foods. At PFI I picked up one 5k block each of milk and dark chocolate Callebaut. Also a 6-can case of San Marzano tomatoes. Each can was 6.5 lbs. $33 for the case! According to some cookbooks I picked up in Italy (and had to run through a translator) this is the best tomato to use for Italian sauces.

Back in '98, an Australian friend of mine smuggled a little bit of Kings Island 'Roaring 40's' Blue Cheese into the country. I had no idea to its quality, nor why she would risk bringing it in the country; that is until I tried it. It was the best blue cheese I've ever had in my life. Ever since I have searched every known store; Di Laurenti's, Costco, Trader Joes, etc. to find it and no one even knows what it is. As Fish was walking me through Whole Foods as a tour guide, we got to the cheese counter and I started telling him about this unobtainable item. And there it was. I bought a wheel, sliced it into 6 wedges and froze them with my Food Saver*. I'm down to my last wedge and need to go back.

My girlfriend lives a block off the market, so that makes it very convenient for this east sider. Lots of good places there.

I agree with assessment of Larry's but I still like going there for veal bones to make veal stock. It's usually $1.89 lb which is very reasonable and I can't seem to find them, or find them cheaper, anywhere else. I get two gallons out of 10 lbs of bones that I break down into 3-cup containers and freeze. When I use it for a sauce I usually reduce it down to 1 cup to intensify the flavor and gelatin. I save the bones to make a remouillage which makes it even cheaper and tastier.

* On a separate thread there is a question about what are your must-have kitchen gadgets. I forgot to include the Food Saver. Just about everything I store in the freezers--kitchen and the garage--goes through the Food Saver. I have stuff over two years old and it thaws out like it was just frozen yesterday.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I recently picked up a foodsaver and although I think it's really cool, all I've done is vacuum seal meat that I've smoked so I can mail it across the country. But so far I haven't used it to seal anything else. Maybe when I get a job, I can start buying in bulk again!

btw, I just adore PFI and I have a really hard time buying cheese anywhere else, let alone bulk spices.

Back in '98, an Australian friend of mine smuggled a little bit of Kings Island 'Roaring 40's' Blue Cheese into the country. I had no idea to its quality, nor why she would risk bringing it in the country; that is until I tried it. It was the best blue cheese I've ever had in my life. Ever since I have searched every known store; Di Laurenti's, Costco, Trader Joes, etc. to find it and no one even knows what it is. As Fish was walking me through Whole Foods as a tour guide, we got to the cheese counter and I started telling him about this unobtainable item. And there it was. I bought a wheel, sliced it into 6 wedges and froze them with my Food Saver™*. I'm down to my last wedge and need to go back.

You are dead on about that cheese- it is my favorite blue to date. I tasted some of it when I was last at Mistral and I had to know where he got it. I now make a point of getting some regularly.

Do they give you a discount when you buy a wheel?

Ben

-Freakmaster

-Mario

Thanks!

Do they give you a discount when you buy a wheel?

No, but buying it in bulk like that at least ensures that they will be carrying it for a while. I just about wet my pants when I saw it. :wub: When I bought it they were down to 2 wheels. I went back a few weeks later and there were 5.

One other thing about Whole Foods: I gather they are a tad bit expensive compared to other places, but on my second trip I was able to purchase a case of DeLille D2 2000 for $27.40 a bottle that included a 10% case discount. That was the cheapest I've seen it anywhere and most places won't part with a case because of their limited supply.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Yes, Whole Foods can be pricey at times...also known as Whole Paycheck. But they carry so much great stuff that I dont care.

If you want a great wine selection and great prices to boot, check out Leschi Mart down in Leschi. The guy there has some great deals, esp in bulk.

Leschi Mart

Ben

-Freakmaster

-Mario

I just noticed that the latest newsletter on his site lists the D2-

2000 DeLille Cellars D2

Big jammy, ripe aromas of blackberries, blueberries and toasty vanilla oak spices jump right out of the glass. The flavors combine a blast of fresh ripe berries with white pepper, ripe tannins and plush Merlot middle flavors. Good concentration and fresh vibrant fruit are the key to this wine.

$31.98/$28.98/$26.08

The first price is retail, the second is single bottle, the third is case discount.

Ben

-Freakmaster

-Mario

If you want a great wine selection and great prices to boot, check out Leschi Mart down in Leschi.  The guy there has some great deals, esp in bulk.

Leschi Mart

This place rocks. I went in over the weekend to see if they had any of the 2000 Domaine de Durban Muscat (alas, not) but they were $3/half bottle cheaper than any other place I've been to for the 2001. And the guy who runs the wine dept (the owner ?) was very nice, very knowledgeable. I'll be buying from them in the future.

- S

I do not know if you guys consider Boise "Northwest" but we have several great places here to shop. First is the Boise Co-op, their cheese and wine sections are some of the best I have seen anywhere in the Northwest, they carry numerous specialty gourmet items as well. The other is a relativly new place called the City Market in Eagle. Another great specialty wine and food store

Mamster, love too. I feel that Boise is becoming a nice little food town. We have some very good restaurants, specialty stores and great brew pubs as well as a very well traveled/food educated population due to our tech sector. I will try to figure out how to put something informative and not too biased( since I work at one of the top restaurants here) before I am off to school this Spring. It might be worth a trip here for you, I think you might be surprised.

Any suggestions on where to buy specialty salts, such as fleur de sel and Maldon sea salt, in Seattle?  I know Sur La Table carries them.  I'm guessing that DeLaurenti may also.

Yep, Di Laurenti and Sur Le Table both carry a decent range of salts. I think I saw Maldon sea salt at Pasta & Co, but I could be mistaken.

Has anyone tried Trader Joe's sea salt ?

- S

The place on Western is World Spice Herb & Teahouse. It's a great store, very close to the Spanish Table. You'll be bringing home more than salt if you visit World Spice.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.