• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Around the World in 80 Plates? Who's watching?

et alors

I'm finding myself surprisingly enjoying this weird mash-up of top chef and survivor.

http://www.bravotv.com/around-the-world-in-80-plates

12 chefs travel across the globe testing their skills and determination. In each episode, the contestants will travel to a different international city where they will learn the local customs, cultures, and cuisines as they participate in a gauntlet of culinary challenges. Ultimately, they will face-off in a kitchen takeover where they will not only recreate, but reinvent the menus for world-renowned restaurants and their demanding owners.

It's pretty fun, though they clearly have not got the bugs worked out... there seems to be a lack of clarity between good and "authentic" (I see the same problem in another fun show form BBC, No Kitchen Required)

It's clear the people getting kicked off are not the ones the judges would choose, keeping it interesting.

My money is on nookie.

I think I have a kitchen competition addiction problem.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

Yeah, I made it through the first two episodes. Too much time spent on playing silly games, running around, and arguing. The hosts are bland, the challenges too simple and too rigged. I want to see more food and more cooking. I also lost any respect I may have had for the contestants as they struggled with quenelles, which is something, IMO, they should know how to make. This show is clearly aimed at a non-foodie audience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been watching. I find the discussion about the typical foods of each region interesting. Plus, I've traveled a lot myself and I really like seeing them in various locations where I've been.

In so far as just the "cooking competition" itself goes, not the best or most informative. And I doubt that the best chef is going to win. But there's something about watching the "Survivor"-like interplay among the cheftestants that is intriguing to me. I'll admit that I had to readjust my thinking after the first episode, and downgrade my expectations regarding the cooking skills/dishes alone.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Me too-- in the end cooking won, but it was frustrating week after week seeing people who didn't make the worst dish-- or sometimes made the best-- go. But Nookie gave anyone who watch (including potentially top chef competitors in the future) an idea of how to play a game as a game.

I also enjoyed seeing the locations, learning about the cuisines, and it wasn't as tiresomely predictable and repetitive as No Kitchen required, which I've had to give up despite being genuinely interested in the cultures they cover like chaing mai hill people and mayans.

I'll admit, I'm a competitive TV show junkie.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

It appears the best chef may have won. It was the one I was rooting for, so I'm happy :-)

Me, too. And I particularly liked what she said about choosing Liz as her final opponent, which was that she wanted to compete against someone that would cook with integrity, and not try to use some sort of sneaky shortcut just to win.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

So who won? I wasn't invested in the show since it was full of unlikeable contestants, hosts and guest chefs.

Avery.