• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Independent and self-published cookbooks

Do people own/have any good recommendations for cookbooks which have been self-published (or at least from small independent publishers)? Not that I think that there is anything inherently better about indie/self-publishing, but knowing people who have self-published (but not cookbooks) I know the problems of promotion and getting your work out there. So I though having such a wide ranging and knowledgeable community as eGullet (sycophantic I know!) collect and recommend some independent cookbooks would be useful for everyone!

I've mentioned it a few times, but Nawal Nasrallah's Delights From the Garden of Eden is a lengthy and exhaustive masterwork on Iraqi cuisine. You'd be surprised, our food is quite varied and kicks ass :smile:

http://www.iraqicookbook.com/contents/intro/main.html

Edited by Hassouni (log)

I've mentioned it a few times, but Nawal Nasrallah's Delights From the Garden of Eden is a lengthy and exhaustive masterwork on Iraqi cuisine. You'd be surprised, our food is quite varied and kicks ass :smile:

http://www.iraqicook...intro/main.html

I'll second that. A wonderful book. I heard her speak about it in New York -- sadly, right after the invasion by the US -- and she seemed like a lovely person. Definitely a book worth tracking down.

I’m sure there is nothing “inherently better about indie/self-publishing” apart from an artisan satisfaction of having produced it yourself. Success is covering your cost; major success is being able to afford a reprint.

If your subject is bread and (in the UK) your name is not Dan Lepard, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall or work from the School of Artisan Food you are not likely to find a publisher.

If your subject is naturally leavened bread, no matter how good it is – forget it. Even with a “celeb” name no publisher is interested.

Although there hasn’t been much response to Justin’s original post, there are likely to be any number of excellent self-published books out there especially on “minority” interests in food preparation. The problem for the author is bringing them to the world’s attention.

So, as well as self-publishing, I would like to self-recommend “Bethesdabasics – Sourdough Made Simple” because I honestly think it’s the best basic book available on the subject - http://thepartisanbaker.com/shop/ - plenty of customer response on the blog.

It won’t make me rich if you buy it. But think, £600 would let me print my next book on how to set up and run a microbakery. That means more bakers in the world baking good bread one of whom might set up in your neighbourhood …

Mick

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.iraqicook...intro/main.html

I'll second that. A wonderful book. I heard her speak about it in New York -- sadly, right after the invasion by the US -- and she seemed like a lovely person. Definitely a book worth tracking down.

ObMeToo: I third the recommendation. A friend gave me a copy after hearing Ms. Nasralllah speak, and we both love the book.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I’m sure there is nothing “inherently better about indie/self-publishing” apart from an artisan satisfaction of having produced it yourself. Success is covering your cost; major success is being able to afford a reprint.

If your subject is bread and (in the UK) your name is not Dan Lepard, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall or work from the School of Artisan Food you are not likely to find a publisher.

If your subject is naturally leavened bread, no matter how good it is – forget it. Even with a “celeb” name no publisher is interested.

Although there hasn’t been much response to Justin’s original post, there are likely to be any number of excellent self-published books out there especially on “minority” interests in food preparation. The problem for the author is bringing them to the world’s attention.

So, as well as self-publishing, I would like to self-recommend “Bethesdabasics – Sourdough Made Simple” because I honestly think it’s the best basic book available on the subject - http://thepartisanbaker.com/shop/ - plenty of customer response on the blog.

It won’t make me rich if you buy it. But think, £600 would let me print my next book on how to set up and run a microbakery. That means more bakers in the world baking good bread one of whom might set up in your neighbourhood …

Mick

Wish I weren't doing the stupid low-carb thing (and that my husband weren't WILDLY enthusiastic about it). I miss baking bread and your book sounds wonderful. Just love your TBOB slogan!

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)

Wish I weren't doing the stupid low-carb thing (and that my husband weren't WILDLY enthusiastic about it). I miss baking bread and your book sounds wonderful. Just love your TBOB slogan!

TBOB (Taking the Bollocks Out of Baking) is much needed. It wasn’t me who called your low-carb diet stupid. I would sue the estate of Robert Atkins for obstructing trade (or whatever the correct term is) but I don’t sell enough books to be able to afford to sue because everyone is on a low-carb diet. (I see he once thought of becoming a comedian.)

Also, I won’t take part in the dumbing down race (Sourdough Made Simple in Only 3.5 Minutes a Day?) I see we now have a Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day. Does that mean the bread in the first book was unhealthy? Another reason my book is self-published and approaching 250 sales while these books have bona fide publishers and sell by the thousand.

Revolutionary thought but every consider coming off the low-carb diet, buying the book and baking the bread? Your husband doesn’t have to eat it.

Best wishes

Mick

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

TBOB (Taking the Bollocks Out of Baking) is much needed. It wasn’t me who called your low-carb diet stupid. I would sue the estate of Robert Atkins for obstructing trade (or whatever the correct term is) but I don’t sell enough books to be able to afford to sue because everyone is on a low-carb diet. (I see he once thought of becoming a comedian.)

Also, I won’t take part in the dumbing down race (Sourdough Made Simple in Only 3.5 Minutes a Day?) I see we now have a Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day. Does that mean the bread in the first book was unhealthy? Another reason my book is self-published and approaching 250 sales while these books have bona fide publishers and sell by the thousand.

Revolutionary thought but every consider coming off the low-carb diet, buying the book and baking the bread? Your husband doesn’t have to eat it.

Best wishes

Mick

I'm thinking about it! He lost 25 pounds on the diet, I lost bupkis (and still trying to find it!). Sylvia

• 1 month later...