• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisine Solutions - Adding Water Bath Instructions

JBailey

Cuisine Solutions is the founding company of sous-vide and as they say on their web site 'masters of sous-vide since 1971'. While shopping at Costco recently, I noticed there was a package of their Butter Chicken. Looking at the cookng instructions on the back of the item, they offer cooking instructions for microwave, conventional ovens - and now water baths! This may be the first time I have seen a mass market food product giving water bath instructions!

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Cuisine Solutions is the founding company of sous-vide and as they say on their web site 'masters of sous-vide since 1971'. While shopping at Costco recently, I noticed there was a package of their Butter Chicken. Looking at the cookng instructions on the back of the item, they offer cooking instructions for microwave, conventional ovens - and now water baths! This may be the first time I have seen a mass market food product giving water bath instructions!

That seems to be an indication of the growing popularity of sous-vide. Hope it continues and spreads. Thank you for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Cuisine Solutions also has instructions for several other products for those who wish to use a water bath. Some of their commercial products give instructions for combi ovens. For the Butter Chicken sold at Costco they offer the three following ways to heat the product:

Convention Oven:

1. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
  2. Peel open the pouch and place the product into a shallow baking dish. Discard the plastic pouch. Cover product with aluminum foil.
  3. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 17–22 minutes.
  4. Carefully take the baking dish out of the oven and serve.

Microwave Oven:

1. Peel open pouch and place the product in the provided black tray or another shallow microwave-safe container. Discard the plastic pouch.
  2. To avoid getting any product in your microwave, place a paper towel on top of the container covering, but not touching, the food.
  3. Microwave on High for 3 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir.
  4. Place back in microwave and cook for additional 2–3 minutes.
  5. Carefully remove the container from the microwave and let stand for 1 minute before serving.

Water Bath:

1. Fill and preheat the water oven to 145°F (63°C).
  2. Place the pouch(es) in the water oven for 35 minutes.
  3. Carefully remove the pouch(es) from the water oven.
  4. Peel open the pouch(es) and place the product on a serving dish.

Edited by JBailey (log)

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Can't be raw, not if they are saying that 5 minutes in the microwave is "cooked." Still, really good to see that people are recognizing the expanding list of useful tools for the end consumer. Would love to see more of this.

I'd imagine that it's already precooked/pasteurized in the bag and that the instructions given are reheating, not cooking instructions. Also, I'd imagine their thickness in the finished product is relatively consistent, so I'd imagine 35 minutes at 145F would be plenty of time to bring to temp.