• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A couple of lesser known gems in North London...

Trangallan

I've been meaning to post somewhere about this restaurant for months. Top class, modern Spanish food that seems to have flown under the critics' radar (perhaps becuase its in not-so-fashionable Newington Green?) Our first visit in January came a week after a meal at Pizarro (which we really like) and, hands down, the meal at Trangallan was better. Some whimsical dishes ("Tortilla 2012", the latest in a an annual series of the chef's interpretations of tortilla) but what really stood out was the top-class fish dishes particulalry the most perfectly cooked hake. Cracking sherry list and very friendly service. This goes beyond being a neighbourhood gem and could be the best Spanish restaurant in London...

Yipin China

The chef from Golden Day has moved to set up his own Hunanese/Sichuan joint in Islington. We were alerted to it by Jay Rayner's review in the Observer a couple of months ago and visited last night for a pre-cinema dinner. We had man & wife offal, crispy pigs intestine, fish poached in chilli oil and Chairman Mao's pork. Far too much food but everything was top class, just as good as Bar Shu where we usually get our Sichuan fix. Highly recommended.

• 1 month later...

Thanks - the Trangallan sounds good.

Was tempted to keep this one to myself as it really is a gem. You do however, need to pick your night as it can get a bit too busy at the weekend especially if you are wanting an intimate meal with a partner.

Great if you want authentic unpretentious French cooking, at very reasonable prices.

http://www.lemontmartrebistro.com/default.html

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker

Thanks, it's good to have some lesser known but good addresses instead of endlessy discussing the usual suspects! I decided to expore the Spanish scene in London (which I had ignored for all these years) and started today with Cambio de Tercio, Trangallian is now on my list.