• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mm84321

Ventreche de cochon

5 posts in this topic

Please excuse my ignorance; I do not cook much with pork.

I have a recipe in French that calls for "ventreche de cochon". I know this translates literally to "belly of pork". However, I am wondering if this is specific to raw, or some sort of cured product. The recipe calls for the ventreche de cochon to be sliced paper thin on a deli slicer, and it is briefly sauteed (3 minutes) into a fricassee of escargot. Does raw pork belly seem right to use in this scenario?

If you google ventreche de porc, you will see a number of images showing you what it is like. Here in the south-west (of France) it is often barbecued.

Ventrèche just means "belly" in Southern French, with a nuance of fattiness. Hence pork belly and tuna belly both bear that name in the South.

Ventrèche de porc (or de cochon) can be raw or cured, but the term is not used for smoked pork belly since pork is generally not smoked in the South and Southwest.

A ventrèche de porc to be cut thin on a deli slicer should be very dry. Indeed a very dry cured pancetta would do the job.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Loubika
      Hi everyone,

I'm a little pastry chief in France, still learning and really passionate. It's been five months that I did'nt studiy or practise and I miss that so much. I never stop talking about this. I decided to travel in south america to learn everything I can. I'm actually in Central Colombia, and I will travel to Ecuador, Galapagos, Peru, Bolivia and maybe a little bit more if I want to. I have time until march, more or less.

My project is to go in the farms and meet the people who grow up the raw material I use for make my pastries, Talk to them and see the plantation would be really helpfull for me to understand how does it works. If people need, I'm volunteer for work in exchange with accomodation and food for a few days. My spanish is not good yet, but I'm learning and sometimes it's more funny to not speak the same language. I'm interested about everything, exotic fruits, citrus, coffee, cacao, sesame, pepper, spices...

If some of you is, knows or works with farmers or pastry chiefs in those countries, I would be glad to meet you/them and learn everthing about the work. We can exchange good recipe too.

Thank you very much,
      Loubna

• By Giampiero
      Is there anyone in the forum that can suggest me how to cook this kind of Portuguese sausage?

Many thanks in advance!!!!
    • By mikec
      Everytime I make Coq au Vin or similar chicken dishes the recipe calls for browning the chicken (creating a nice crispy skin) and then removing it only to return it to the dish to finish by braising in liquid. Unfortunately, when cooked in liquid, my chicken ends up losing its crispiness and turning grey and soggy.
      What am I doing wrong, or what can I do to retain then crispy factor?
      Thanks.
      Mike
    • By jmacnaughtan
      So I've been looking at this dish for a while, and while I've seen threads talking about where to eat it, I haven't found anyone who's actually made it.  I thought it might be fun to try.

This is the recipe I've found (in French, my apologies), and there's an informative YouTube video of same.  Again in French, and as a bonus in a heavy southern accent.

I'm going to pick up my hare, sausage-meat, foie gras and bard on Wednesday, and get to de-boning.  I'll see if I can get my better half to take a couple of photos or videos

If anyone has done this before, or anything like it, I'd love to hear any advice you might have.  As for now, I have a couple of questions for more experienced eGulleteers before I start:

1- I can't seem to get hold of the requisite pork back fat, but my butcher can provide veal kidney fat.  Is this a decent alternative?

2- I've been re-watching the video and re-reading the recipe, and neither say when to remove the string used to truss the hare.  Would it be better to do it after taking it out of the cooking liquor?  Once it's rolled and chilled?  Removing each small piece from each slice - but before or after it's reheated?  I have horrific images of doing everything perfectly, then have it fall apart right at the last moment.

So any input would be gratefully received.  In any case, I'll try and document the process as much as possible for future information/hilarity.
    • By tan319
      hello all.
      just wondering if anybody has a favorite way to cook their brulee.
      I just did some in a convection oven, low fan, 225 and they got a bit wierd on top. In oval dishes, BTW.
      Good texture inside. Just a bit wierd on top.
      I welcome any input.
      thanks.