• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas For Cooking on the Go

DanM

A couple friends of mine are heading out on a long road trip around the country. They are looking for ideas for meals they can make on the go at highway rest stops, campgrounds, parks, etc.... They will have a small cooler, but will mostly be eating shelf stable foods and they will have a small propane camp stove and minimal equipment.

What would you make if you were on a road trip?

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Grilled veggies: zucchini, eggplant, red potatoes, red onions, asparagus, radicchio or romaine lettuce...

Grilled fruits: halved peaches and apricots, cantaloupe

ETA: friends of ours biked from Portland, Oregon to Portland, Maine, sleeping in town parks, mostly eating in small town cafes. They reported good facilities in these parks, picnic areas with barbeques and good bathrooms.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

When I go camping I always bring some cold cooked rice and fresh ginger from home (nutritional mixed grain rice). Then I can add all the bits and pieces from other meals and make fried rice (topped with a poached egg). Save those soy sauce packets for this!

Pack orzo, some boullion cubes and Swansons canned chicken breast meat for a good risotto style pasta dish (cous cous is also good).

Those packages of Zatarains rice mixes are a good base for a meal (rice a roni will do) .. .I usually add some cooked sausage (Aidells Habenaro Chicken -yum).

Tortillas don't have to be refrigerated and incredibly adaptable. For an amazing camp dessert, make quesadillas using cream cheese and canned fruit pie filling (Oregon brand actually tastes like fruit not sugar). They should also bring some canned pintos and small cans of salsa verde or salsa fresca.

Oatmeal, raisins, brown sugar . . .

When I go camping I always bring some cold cooked rice and fresh ginger from home (nutritional mixed grain rice). Then I can add all the bits and pieces from other meals and make fried rice (topped with a poached egg). Save those soy sauce packets for this!

Pack orzo, some boullion cubes and Swansons canned chicken breast meat for a good risotto style pasta dish (cous cous is also good).

Those packages of Zatarains rice mixes are a good base for a meal (rice a roni will do) .. .I usually add some cooked sausage (Aidells Habenaro Chicken -yum).

Tortillas don't have to be refrigerated and incredibly adaptable. For an amazing camp dessert, make quesadillas using cream cheese and canned fruit pie filling (Oregon brand actually tastes like fruit not sugar). They should also bring some canned pintos and small cans of salsa verde or salsa fresca.

Oatmeal, raisins, brown sugar . . .

Good ideas, all. And remember that not all of these supplies need by hauled from home. Many can be picked up on a daily basis in local markets.

eGullet member #80.