• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greweling's Brazil Nut English Toffee

minas6907

Hi Everyone.

I was wondering if anyone has ever made the Brazil Nut English Toffee from Chocolates and Confections. I should say that I'm no toffee connoisseur, when someone says to me "toffee," I usually think of something along the likes of broken shards of the stuff covered in chocolate, or something along the lines of almond rocha. I have made the toffee drop recipe plenty of times, that was actually the very first candy I made, then from there I moved on to caramels, and spent a bunch of time with hard candy.

I was looking through the book, and this caught my attention, I was comparing the Brazil Nut English Toffee (Page 215) recipe to the Toffee Drop recipe (Page 217), and was sort of shocked at the enormous amount of butter and salt in the Brazil Nut English Toffee formula...sounds delicious. Anyways, it was something new I wanted to try, but while the total yield says a 16"x24" sheet, the instructions say to pour into a 12x12 frame, is this a typo? From the amount of ingredients, I know this would not fit in the frame, but after its done boiling, do you normally just pour it out into a giant pool, or would you need to spread it at all with a palate knife? Maybe I'll try making a small batch tomorrow. Also, on the topic of toffee, is there anything specific that makes it English Toffee? Thanks for you thoughts everyone.

Toffee vs caramel vs brittle seems to cause confusion country to country - english toffee to me is like buttercrunch - hard, crunchy and it breaks when you bend it.

I think it's a typo - cause the recipe is for something that you'd pour out on a silpat and spread out - but we'll ask him at breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...

The 12x12 frame is a typo - he'll see if he can get it corrected before the new edition - thinks that could likely happen.

Hello Kerry, you are so lucky. I just received his at home c&c book and cannot wait for the one in November. Also, thanks for your reply on my caramel dilemma here on egullet. I'm new to candy making and am just getting to learning the science. Again, thanks. By the way I love your confectionary course on here. Take care.