• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breaking down a suckling pig

mm84321

I will be getting a 15 pound suckling pig tomorrow. I have never broken down a whole animal, other than a lamb once with my butcher, and of course chickens, ducks, pigeons and fish, though I am confident in my butchery skills. I believe I will break it down into the primal cuts first, and then work from there. What do I need to know?

I guess the question is also what you want to do with it? 15 pounds seems quite small to me, a pig that size would probably feed 8-12 people (just a guess, but I am thinking 15 pounds of carcass translates to roughly 8-ish pounds of meat?). At that size, you might be better off doing something with the head, something with the whole loin + saddle (maybe debone it?), and something with the legs. Unless of course you are practicing for something bigger down the road :wink:

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

Panaderia I had never come across the word "llapingachos" until just now. I looked it up and saw that it's a potato cake that is filled with cheese and sounds amazing. Do you have a favorite recipe that you could post? Makes me want to roast up some pork just to have the excuse to make some!

Charcuterer, will do. I have three recipes for llapis, all of which are fantastic - and it's more a cooking method than it is a recipe anyhow. Off to the RecipeGullet for me!

sweet.

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com