• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What would be the best canned food if a disaster happened?

A whole canned chicken would be good to have in case your disaster coincided with a holiday meal.

http://www.seriousea...taste-test.html

Ive tried so hard to get these. Anyone have a source for them?

I LOVE this canned chicken. I buy it by the case. It's awesome in chicken noodle soup.

http://www.lehmans.c...#12291201291201

Canned whole chicken would be nice to store too! Haven't tried though. I love chicken and the kids love 'em too! Need to find a source where it's at an affordable price :smile:

Survival Store - Where To Find High Quality Emergency and Survival Foods!

Follow me on Twitter @FatMoGuy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For everyone who's looking for whole canned chickens,Sweet Sue makes the product. If you do search for sweet sue

on Google, the web site will come up. It has "where to buy" link, too. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 4 weeks later...

We also have a few gallons of water.

Question: for how long is that water potable?

We buy large water containers every year and I mark their dates on them hugely in black and we will restrict ourselves to using only the current year for drinking purposes...except that we have yet to need to use any of them. Thus I have sealed water going back a few years in our cellar now dedicated to possible burns, fires, etc, only...and still unused. Ed has water up at the Drive Shed for burns, fires, etc, but it's from the well, unprotected so to speak, etc.

I really need some guidance about this. We are currently setting up to set up for emergencies and will probably do it properly within the next six months. To date, it's been a trifle haphazard although with the extra space which we have in the cellar we are set for quite a while with canned tomatoes, canned beans, Habitant pea soup, this and that and quite a lot of it, prompted more by sales and the fact that we are quite far from grocery stores than any organized thought.

Thanks.

I wouldn't even give it a thought. While some stuff could leach into the water from whatever it's stored in, that would be the least of your worries in a scenario where you need emergency water. If you have glass containers, or stainless steel, the water should survive basically forever.