• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prague – suggestions for places & dishes

Hello,

I'm off to Prague in July and am looking for recommendations for good places to eat. I want to sample traditional and modern Czech cuisine and sample a good range from street food to traditional pubs to Michelin standard restaurants. One place i have heard consistently good things about is le degustation (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274707-d1096547-Reviews-La_Degustation-Prague_Bohemia.html) so this is on the definitely maybe list, if anyone has any opinions on this place, they'd be very welcome.

Secondly, if there's any must try Czech dishes I should know about, i'd be happy to hear about them. The classic pork knuckle and dumplings are already on my list, I'm happy to try (almost) anything!

Any recommendations gratefully received,

Thanks,

iain

Be advised U Vejvodu is more focused on beer, but it was prob my favorite place in the city, I went twice on a 5 day trip. That being said, almost every drinking den has food.

• 1 month later...

After visiting I can happily recommend Francouzska Restaurace and La Degustation as a welcome relief from the traditional Czech pub fare (which is worth trying, particularly Kolkovna). Francouzka is a nice French restaurant in an opulent dining room with live pianist and mainly french dishes but international also, a decent and not overpriced wine list and friendly (English speaking) staff.

La Degustation is certainly worth a visit, tasteful relaxing dining room, great staff and excellent food. Their Bohemian tasting menu is modern takes on classic Czech cuisine including carp and a clean delicate version of the meat, cream sauce and dumpling using beef tongue and semolina dumplings. The wine flight consisting of mainly Czech wine has was excellent and has opened my eyes to Czech wines. If you have one fine dining meal in Prague, go here!

Edited by iainpb (log)

• 5 months later...

Can anyone provide any updated info on Prague? La Degustation looks interesting, but I'm confused by the menu on their website. Are the costs per course? If so, how come the drink/wine pairings are twice the price of the food?

I've heard a place called Cerny Kun is good, but I don't know how up-to-date that tip is. Aromi, Usudu, and U Medvidku all look decent, and I'm tempted to book a table at Nebozizek on the hill overlooking the city because the food looks good and it seems a nice tourist destination without being a trap.