• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"A Feast of Ice and Fire" – Game of Thrones Companion Cookbook

johnnyd

George Martins fantasy series "A Song Of Ice And Fire" is spread out over a medieval world with long lost ingredients, yet these two intrepid authors tracked down many of the well-described feasts in the books and compiled original recipes and their modern equivalent.

Their blog samples some of the menus here:

http://www.innatthecrossroads.com/

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Oh cool! I just downloaded the first book to my Kindle.

Save yourself time and download the other four - I litterally could not put them down this winter, never mind the TV shows.

I've found some interesting dishes that I actually remember from the books

- Shrimp and Persimmon soup (cold, as it turns out)

- Honey-spiced locusts

- Goat with sweetgrass, firepods and honey

...and lemoncakes - Sansa's favourite. I think I'll have to get this bloody book! :raz:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I've been reading the novels as well. George R.R. Martin musn't be a big food guy - he talks about a 77 course feast in volume... 3? and didn't even bother to list the dishes. :raz:

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

• 3 weeks later...

my favorites so far are

Sisters stew- I made this about a year before the book was published and loved it, whetted my appetitie for the book.

Sansa's Lemon Cakes/Cookies (medieval recipe) these were a big hit, open the cookie jar and it smelled like lemons sticks. I iced them with 10X, lemon juice and a little egg white powder to make a harder icing for storage and shipping. My princess-wannabes loved them!

Shrimp & Persimmon Soup- very good! Great use for the frozen persimmon pulp in my freezer and the local shrimp.

I have a glut of persimmons every year and hope to make the persimmon wine at some point

Edited by Kayakado (log)