• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

DanM

Books About Vegetables

40 posts in this topic

Thanks again for the sugestions! I made a stop at Half Price Books in Dallas with the list of books mentioned here. I was able to find Chez Panisse Fruit and Vegetable books. I also found Peterson's veg book, but it was too pricey and it was too big to schlep home.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I realize this is a bit late, but no one mentioned Nigel Slater's Tender, A cook and his vegetable patch.

Also The Vegetarian Option by SImon Hopkinson it's not really a vegetarian cook book though as there is a recipe for chicken stock in there, but more dishes to show off vegetables at there best.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Perfect Vegetables by the editors of Cook's Illustrated. Photography by Carl Tremblay & David Van Ackere. c.2003.

Carole Grogloth Molokai Hawaii

Has anyone seen or cooked from Vegetable Literacy, Deborah Madison's new book and if so, what did you think?

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Regarding Vegetable Literacy, I had a little bit of free time this weekend and started reading it. I really enjoyed what I read so far. There is a nice summary of each vegetable "family" at the beginning of each chapter, followed by a detailed write-up for each vegetable which includes information about the history, common varieties, nutritional value, recommended preparations, and affinities with other vegetables. Beyond the recipes and the beautiful photography, I can see the book as a great resource on detailed information about each type of vegetable and also as a source of inspiration. It looks very well researched. Seeing the vegetables grouped by family instantly triggers lots of ideas for new dishes.

I too have started reading Vegetable Literacy and am about half way into it. Very pleased with it so far, more so for the information than for the recipes...though there is a very interesting looking carrot cake on page 16.

I too have started reading Vegetable Literacy and am about half way into it. Very pleased with it so far, more so for the information than for the recipes...though there is a very interesting looking carrot cake on page 16.

That carrot cake has caught my eye as well. I've already bookmarked that recipe!

I ordered and received Patricia Wells' Vegetable Harvest. I have only had time to glance through it but it looks very promising. I'm looking for new ways to serve veggies at the Ren Faire feast I cook for. I'll let you all know what results I've had later.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

I have Ottolenghi's "Plenty" which has some really good recipes which even my son, a confirmed omnivore,(think he'd be a carnivore if he could!), really likes.

My wife is in the UK, so I have had River Cottage Veg Everyday and the River Cottage Handbooks for Veg and Herbs sent to her hotel from Amazon UK. They are not available in the US so this was a good opportunity to try some thing different.

River Cottage Veg by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall was recently released in the U.S. Amazon link: River Cottage Veg

It's tempting, I'd be interested in what you think of it.

My wife is in the UK, so I have had River Cottage Veg Everyday and the River Cottage Handbooks for Veg and Herbs sent to her hotel from Amazon UK. They are not available in the US so this was a good opportunity to try some thing different.

River Cottage Veg by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall was recently released in the U.S. Amazon link: River Cottage Veg

It's tempting, I'd be interested in what you think of it.

Maybe you saw it, but the Wash Post had an article about it and some sample recipes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/weeknight-vegetarian-river-cottage-goes-meatless/2013/06/03/fa581f8e-c8ac-11e2-9245-773c0123c027_story.html

The tahini dressed veggies intrigue me, but I wasn't sure enough to buy the book. I would also like others' opinions.

The Complete book of Vegetables- The Ultimate Guide to Growing, Cooking and Eating Vegetables by Matthew Biggs..

• Similar Content

• By CanadianSportsman
      Greetings,

I've cooked several recipes from Keller's "Bouchon" the last couple of weeks, and have loved them all! At the moment (as in right this minute) I'm making the boeuf Bourguignon, and am a little confused about the red wine reduction. After reducing the wine, herbs, and veg for nearly an hour now, I'm nowhere near the consistancy of a glaze that Keller specifies. In fact, it looks mostly like the veg is on the receiving end of most of it. Is this how the recipe is meant to be? Can anybody tell me what kind of yield is expected? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, kindly. 
    • By Paul Fink
      This unfortunately titled book changed my life. I always enjoyed cooking and idealized Julia Child &
      Jacque Pepin. But I was a typical home cook. I would see a recipe and try to duplicate it little understanding about what I was doing.

Cooking the Nouvelle Cuisine in America talked about a philosophy of cooking. It showed me that there is more depth to cooking. A history. A philosophy.
      The recipes are very approachable and you can make them on a budget from grocery store ingredients. I read it as a grad student in Oregon, in the late 80's I had access to lots of fresh ingredients. And some very nice wines, cheap! I was suppose to be studying physics but I end up learning more about wine & cooking.
    • By Smokeydoke
      Here is the discussion thread.
      Here is the Amazon link.
      My first recipe was Mushroom Mapo Tofu p. 132  I was blown away by how good this tasted. Very spicy! Very authentic. I didn't miss the meat at all. I told Mr. Smokey I'd add ground pork next time and he said it didn't need it. Mr. Smokey refused pork? Ha!
      Definitely a keeper and maybe a regular rotation spot.
      If I had anything negative to say, it would be the dish wasn't very filling. The recipe is suppose to serve four but the two of us finished it off, no problem, and Mister wasn't full afterwards. A soup, or an appetizer could be paired with the dish to make a heartier meal.
      Note: I did receive a complimentary copy of the book to review, but all opinions of the book and recipes are mine.

• By JoNorvelleWalker
      Started in on Rob's book tonight.  Nice pictures, interesting philosophy.  The bit about grapevines reminded me ever so much about my balcony.  My grapevine has been growing ten or twenty years, planted by the birds.  Never a grape, ever.  Only recently did I learn that unlike European grapes, the native grapevines are sexual.  This one is undoubtedly a boy.  He provides lovely leaves and shade, and something for the tomatoes to hang onto.

• By Bon Appetit Cookbooks
      This topic was hijacked from the Vancouver Board.
      What cookbooks do you love to cook out of at home?
      Is there a specific recipe that is your favorite?
      Or is there a book you just can't live without?
      If you have pictures, even better! Lets see how it turns out!
      Some of my favorites to cook out of:
      The Balthazar Cookbook - The Beef Tartar is amazing! As is the Chicken Liver Mousse
      The Babbo Cookbook - The Strawberries & Peaches with Balsamic Zabaglione
      Barefoot in Paris - The Blue Cheese Souffle looks JUST LIKE THE PICTURE!
      The Bouchon Cookbook - The Roast Chicken will seriously change your life
      Gordon Ramsey Makes it Easy - The Chocolate Pots are the easiest dessert in the world and tastes so good....especially with the Amedei #7
      There are lots more. Hopefully I can take pictures and show you.
      Hopefully this post can be an ongoing thing.
      I think we are all interested in what eachother cooks!
      Happy Cooking

J