• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Books About Vegetables

DanM

Thanks again for the sugestions! I made a stop at Half Price Books in Dallas with the list of books mentioned here. I was able to find Chez Panisse Fruit and Vegetable books. I also found Peterson's veg book, but it was too pricey and it was too big to schlep home.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Regarding Vegetable Literacy, I had a little bit of free time this weekend and started reading it. I really enjoyed what I read so far. There is a nice summary of each vegetable "family" at the beginning of each chapter, followed by a detailed write-up for each vegetable which includes information about the history, common varieties, nutritional value, recommended preparations, and affinities with other vegetables. Beyond the recipes and the beautiful photography, I can see the book as a great resource on detailed information about each type of vegetable and also as a source of inspiration. It looks very well researched. Seeing the vegetables grouped by family instantly triggers lots of ideas for new dishes.

I too have started reading Vegetable Literacy and am about half way into it. Very pleased with it so far, more so for the information than for the recipes...though there is a very interesting looking carrot cake on page 16.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I too have started reading Vegetable Literacy and am about half way into it. Very pleased with it so far, more so for the information than for the recipes...though there is a very interesting looking carrot cake on page 16.

That carrot cake has caught my eye as well. I've already bookmarked that recipe!

I ordered and received Patricia Wells' Vegetable Harvest. I have only had time to glance through it but it looks very promising. I'm looking for new ways to serve veggies at the Ren Faire feast I cook for. I'll let you all know what results I've had later.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife is in the UK, so I have had River Cottage Veg Everyday and the River Cottage Handbooks for Veg and Herbs sent to her hotel from Amazon UK. They are not available in the US so this was a good opportunity to try some thing different.

River Cottage Veg by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall was recently released in the U.S. Amazon link: River Cottage Veg

It's tempting, I'd be interested in what you think of it.

My wife is in the UK, so I have had River Cottage Veg Everyday and the River Cottage Handbooks for Veg and Herbs sent to her hotel from Amazon UK. They are not available in the US so this was a good opportunity to try some thing different.

River Cottage Veg by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall was recently released in the U.S. Amazon link: River Cottage Veg

It's tempting, I'd be interested in what you think of it.

Maybe you saw it, but the Wash Post had an article about it and some sample recipes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/weeknight-vegetarian-river-cottage-goes-meatless/2013/06/03/fa581f8e-c8ac-11e2-9245-773c0123c027_story.html

The tahini dressed veggies intrigue me, but I wasn't sure enough to buy the book. I would also like others' opinions.