• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nipoori Tandoori Oven

annachan

I was at the Good Food and Wine Show in Melbourne today and came across the Nipoori tandoori oven. I like that I can use it both as a tandoori oven and as a regular bbq. I like that it is compact and not very heavy as my only outdoor space at the townhouse is a small balcony up on the third floor.

I do have reservations on if it really works as well as a traditional tandoori. The salesperson tends to think I can cook naan by sticking it on the outside of the tandoori, which seems strange to me.

Anyway, just thought I put it out there to see if anyone has used it. Good? Bad?

It's retailing here for AUS$499, which is quite a bit more than the UK at 150 GBP.

Yeah I've got one, but you've got to remember the thin aliminium hood does retain the heat like a real tandoori oven.

Nice design but you're never going to fully copy a proper tandoor.

I was at a party yesterday where we cooked using a portable tandoor - it was superb and I'd highly recommend it. I've checked the site and the same ones are available in Australia via this company: http://www.tandoorliving.com.au/Tandoor-buy-for-sale.html

They aren't light - either 40 or 60kg depending on which size you go for - but if the oven doesn't weigh much you will never get proper tandoori cooking, you just have to have the mass there to retain the heat. They are mounted on wheels though so can be moved around if you have a flat surface.