• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Makes a Good Cocktail Stirring Spoon?

mr drinkie

• 1 year later...

I've been using this spoon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F7JY00/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for a while now, and I like its low profile, feel, etc.  However, the bowl of the spoon is tiny and not useful for measuring small quantities of things like liqueurs or absinthe, etc.

I'm looking at both the Hoffman and Teardrop spoons from Cocktail Kingdom, and I was wondering if anybody has used both and can comment upon the differences.

ETA: Also, the Bonzer and Uber spoons look interesting...

Edited by Hassouni (log)

• 1 month later...

So I ordered and received 2 of the CK Hoffman spoons (the 30ish cm ones) and used them for my pop up cocktail bar over the weekend. They performed quite well and were longer and more pleasant to use in many respects than what I was using.

However, I went up to NY Sunday and noticed that nearly EVERY cocktail bar is using the CK Teardrop spoons, and often in considerably longer length. I stopped by the CK office this afternoon, and I found that the 30ish cm Teardrop has a more pleasant balance than the Hoffman - the center of gravity is lower, whereas it's rather high in the Hoffman, at least to me.  However, the longer length spoons of any type didn't really seem balanced at all, and I'm wondering why so many of the bars use them, especially given how short (as I just discovered) a standard yarai mixing glass is. The only benefit I can think of is that it allows for the simultaneous stirring of two drinks in separate glasses, with two spoons, which I also saw a lot of.  Is there any other reason for the extra length?

[..]

They performed quite well and were longer and more pleasant to use in many respects than what I was using.

[...]

The only benefit I can think of is that it allows for the simultaneous stirring of two drinks in in separate glasses, with two spoons, which I also saw a lot of. Is there any other reason for the extra length?

Hmmm... Phrasing? (Where is Rafa when you need him)

Personally I am perfectly content with 30 cm.

• Like 2

"Said Elise to the android bishop!"

Rafa's usually bullseye-precise "phrasings" actually skipped a beat yesterday  :laugh:

Yeah, 30cm is perfectly fine, though I haven't tried the 2 glasses/2 spoons simultaneously thing yet. I'm really wondering if that's the only reason.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

• 2 weeks later...