• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter & Jelly Favorites

Peanut butter and pickles is a combination that makes me break out in a cold sweat just thinking about - along with the knife licking I may need a cup of tea and lie down to recover (it's me, not you - I'm excessively finicky). Peanut butter needs lots of butter (if you don't see toothmarks in the butter, you have too little), and creamed honey or strawberry jam. And keep my nutella and my peanut butter far apart...

...Peanut butter needs lots of butter (if you don't see toothmarks in the butter, you have too little), ...

I remember my dad telling me that his mother always applied copious amounts of butter to PB sandwiches.

Why? Because peanut butter is sticky and the butter helps it slide down :blink:. Otherwise, it might get stuck in your throat and you would choke to death :biggrin: :biggrin:

...Peanut butter needs lots of butter (if you don't see toothmarks in the butter, you have too little), ...

I remember my dad telling me that his mother always applied copious amounts of butter to PB sandwiches.

Why? Because peanut butter is sticky and the butter helps it slide down :blink:. Otherwise, it might get stuck in your throat and you would choke to death :biggrin: :biggrin:

Sounds like the lectures I used to get from my Grandmother. Dangerous stuff that peanut butter without the fixings!! :wink:

My grandma used to cut a large slab of bread (baked in those old oversized loaf pans) spread it with peanut butter and homemade jam, cut the crusts off and roll it into a cylinder and slice it into rounds - like a mini jelly roll.

I think I was just a bit indulged or "spoiled" --

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My grandma used to cut a large slab of bread (baked in those old oversized loaf pans) spread it with peanut butter and homemade jam, cut the crusts off and roll it into a cylinder and slice it into rounds - like a mini jelly roll.

I think I was just a bit indulged or "spoiled" --

Andie - that's the best idea I've seen here! What a stunning way of serving an old favorite. And you just know it won't taste the same as a regular sandwich with the same ingredients. Godchild's birthday is coming up - may give this a try!

• 3 weeks later...

Jiff crunchy peanut butter, grape jelly, and squishy white bread. With a big glass of milk. As someone else mentioned, some things from childhood shouldn't be messed with!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Peanut Butter and Co.'s 'White Chocolate Wonderful'. I almost cry when I run out and have to use regular pb. I've even given it as presents so people will find out how wonderful it is!

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

Peanut Butter and Co.'s 'White Chocolate Wonderful'. I almost cry when I run out and have to use regular pb. I've even given it as presents so people will find out how wonderful it is!

Their Dark Chocolate Dreams is wonderful. I make sure I never buy it. It's too wonderful.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Never grooved on grape jelly. I was always a fan of strawberry jam, apricot preserves or even fig jam with my PB. I love the mango chutney idea. Might have to go get some just so I can try this!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 3 weeks later...