• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter & Jelly Favorites

So this morning, for breakfast, I'm having what Significant Eater refers to as "peanut butter toast." But it's actually peanut butter and jelly (or, in this case Pomegranate jam) on toast.

A couple of questions immediately entered my mind:

1. What's your favorite peanut butter and jelly/jam/?? combo?

2. Perhaps of even more importance, do you use separate spreaders for the peanut butter and the other topping? I do.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

For me, it's peanut butter (peanuts and salt, that's it) with thick manjar de leche and chocolate sauce. A close second is PB and chocolate baked right into bread (see the Daily Sweets thread for that kind of construction, although that time I used only chocolate since I'd eaten all of my peanut butter :shock: )

Since my PB comes in convenient squeeze packs, I will normally use the same spreader for it and the manjar (the chocolate sauce is pourable) - with the proviso that the manjar is spread first (since I have to dig it out of the jar), and the PB last.

Another fave is PB and Mango Chutney, and for that I do use separate knives to spread.

Also, I don't do it down here very often, simply because making my own mincemeat is a time-consuming PITA for which I'd have to spend a day rendering tallow, but up in Canuckistan where you can buy it in big jars I was a very large fan of PB and Mincemeat.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I don't use commercial PB, rather, I grind it fresh at one of the local stores that has a peanut butter machine. I much prefer the texture and non-oiliness of the fresh ground.

I like it on country-style wheat or whole grain toast. Sometimes I like thinly sliced, ripe bannanas on it, other times my GF's home made apricot preserves ... not too much, though. When she makes marmalade, a little of that is nice with the PB.

... Shel

I've been on a whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter and jam kick the past few weeks, for breakfast. Most days it is PB on one half and homemade blackberry jam on the other, but some times I dab a bit of PB on the jam side and vice versa - always eaten open-faced though.

I adore a PB & Banana sandwich, grilled (or on toasted bread, but is better when the entire thing is grilled). A nice, hearty multi-grain is the best choice for this, I think.

I prefer my peanut butter and jelly on rye bread, with creamy peanut butter. As for jelly, I prefer orange marmalade, and a few drops of Sriracha hot sauce are nice. I also like a sprinkling of raisins instead of the jelly.

Nothing, IMHO, beats Peanut butter & dill pickle sandwiches.

So when's the baby due? :raz:

I usually prefer my PB&J's hold the J but I sometimes throw some locally made (not by me) pincherry or blueberry jelly on there just for a change. I had a friend where I used to live that made strawberry-fig jam from berries and figs she grew in her yard and muscadine jelly from muscadines that grew in the woods around where she lived. I liked both with peanut butter but there are no fig trees or muscadines where I live now so I haven't had those in a while.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1. Depends on my mood and inspiration at the moment. Could be Nutella. Could be cherry preserves (my favorite jam/jelly/etc., although I usually keep at least five or six in stock). Could be half a banana, sliced the long way. Could be tomato or tomato + bacon. PB is always homemade from Planter's unsalted. Except for the occasional pumpernickel bagel, it's almost always bread, toasted, from these folks.

2. Always one spreader, but I do lick most of the pb residue from the knife before proceeding. Ms. Alex, for reasons almost beyond my comprehension, still prefers Jif and hardly ever uses a topping, so there's no "eww" factor in our house. At least not for that.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Sometimes I like thinly sliced, ripe bannanas on it.

I adore a PB & Banana sandwich, grilled (or on toasted bread, but is better when the entire thing is grilled).

Could be half a banana, sliced the long way.

I like the PB&B but I like to mash the peanut butter and banana together in a bowl before spreading it on the bread/toast.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I like the PB&B but I like to mash the peanut butter and banana together in a bowl before spreading it on the bread/toast.

Ahh ... a great idea. Will try that very soon!

... Shel

really.,crusty white bread. Toasted, to the well done stage. Buttered with real butter. peanut butter on both sides, then some really wonderful jam,. (Right now, it's apricoit ) jam on the other side. Put them both together, count to ten, then eat.

---------------------------------------

Always: toasted whole wheat or English muffin, creamy peanut butter, wipe PB residue off knife on edge of PB jar and re-use

Usually: sliced banana, no jam

Sometimes: fig jam

Today: red bell pepper and ancho chili jam

PB Ancho Chili Jam.jpg

Not bad but I'll pick up bananas for tomorrow.

really.,crusty white bread. Toasted, to the well done stage. Buttered with real butter. peanut butter on both sides, then some really wonderful jam,. (Right now, it's apricoit ) jam on the other side. Put them both together, count to ten, then eat.

That sounds really good.

PB -- natural style with salt -- is a "depends on the mood" food. Some days on hearty whole wheat toast all by itself, or sometimes with raisins on top. As a snack on Triscuits. On crusty bread thickly spread with butter, then top with pb, especially if it's chunky style. For PBJ a soft sandwich style bread, untoasted, with both sides spread with pb, then thick layer of Welch's grape jelly in the middle. Since the jelly can't soak into the bread with the layers of pb, it's a very slippery eat, almost guaranteed to result in glops of purple jelly somewhere on the person. I used to like pb and honey mixed on toast, but now I don't.

There used to be a peanut butter restaurant in the Village in NYC -- don't know if it's still there. Their butter grilled pb and banana sandwich was real good.

Ahh ... a great idea. Will try that very soon!

And now I need to pick up bananas...

Sometimes I like thinly sliced, ripe bannanas on it.

I adore a PB & Banana sandwich, grilled (or on toasted bread, but is better when the entire thing is grilled).

Could be half a banana, sliced the long way.

I haven't decided if this is scary or inventive... Better N' Peanut Butter Banana Flavor. http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/products.php

I love peanut butter, banana, and honey stuffed french toast.

On any other day, crunchy peanut butter with apricot on either an English muffin or sourdough satisfies my cravings.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I make my own peanut (and other) nut butters. My preference is on toast with tomato jam but I also like berry preserves and citrus marmalades.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Contrary to most people here, I like the very commercial varieties of peanut butter with a touch of sweetness rather than the hardcore peanuts and salt only kind.

I have been known to enjoy a grilled cheese and peanut butter - surprisingly delicious - but as a rule banana is my 'and' option. Right now though I have a large jar of grape jelly which I am enjoying, jelly being hard to get here. Turkish toast is awesome topped with peanut butter and honey, if I'm in the mood for a bit of sticky breakfast. Definitely not car food, though!

One of the things I am sometimes asked is 'do people really eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?' usually accompanied by a look of wary disgust, because here jelly isn't pipless jam, it's flavoured gelatin!

2. Always one spreader, but I do lick most of the pb residue from the knife before proceeding.

Okay, now I'm gonna puke.

Well, as I wrote, it's only Ms. Alex and me at home, and she doesn't eat my pb or the toppings I use, so no big deal for us. I do use a separate implement for the Nutella, as she does eat that on occasion. (I also sometimes drink directly from the San Pelligrino bottle, as does she.) But if you ever visit, I'll use separate knives and brand new pb and topping containers (and a glass for the San P).

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2. Always one spreader, but I do lick most of the pb residue from the knife before proceeding.

Okay, now I'm gonna puke.

Well, as I wrote, it's only Ms. Alex and me at home, and she doesn't eat my pb or the toppings I use, so no big deal for us. I do use a separate implement for the Nutella, as she does eat that on occasion. (I also sometimes drink directly from the San Pelligrino bottle, as does she.) But if you ever visit, I'll use separate knives and brand new pb and topping containers (and a glass for the San P).

I'll take that as an invitation :wink: .

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Peanut butter on toast, dark toast, with butter. No jam.

I like that -- a butter² sandwich.

Skippy smooth with Strawberry jam on squishy white bread. There are certain things from childhood that are not to be screwed with, but since I almost never have white bread in the house anymore it can be served on Oatnut bread.

On a day that I do buy white bread the first order of business is to put away frozen groceries then make PB&J sandwich - eat sandwich - put away the rest of the groceries.

Grape jelly goes on toast with butter, Apricot goes on roasted salmon, Cherry goes on duck.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association