• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

10 days in Jalisco - Guadalajara, Lagos de Moreno, Guanajuato

MieleMiale

This is my first post! *excited

We're off on a 10 day trip to Jalisco, with the majority of our time spent in a fairly remote hacienda very close to the little town of Lagos de Moreno. We will also be spending a night in Tlaquepaque right as we land, and then a few nights in Guadalajara as we end the journey.

We will be driving, so hope to make day trips to surrounding town using the hacienda as our base. We'll be about 1.5 hours from Guanajuato.

I would love any advice and insights on special eating experiences in Lagos de Moreno, as well as little towns between there and Guajanuato, Guadalajara and surrounds. While we are all for fancy sit down eateries, there is nothing we enjoy more than driving into little towns for their particular mercado specialty, or for a tianguis, or perhaps sampling the confectionaries or liquados or cajeta that a little village is famous for.

Of course, any must-see restaurants/birrierias/cantinas in Guadalajara would be welcome to, for those evening meals and cocktails!

Thank you in advance for tips!!

I haven't been in years so I'm not much help except to say I think the dish Carne en su jugo from Karne Garabaldi is almost worth the airfare alone. I hope you get a chance to try it.

The toursity joints on the square are fun, especially if you're with a big group.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Another vote for "carne en su jugo" at Karne Garabaldi in Guadalajara.

And if you get to Guanajuato City proper, you must take a wander through Jardin de la Union and eat at one of the many outdoor cafes there. Excellent food, and strolling musicians add to the already-perfect atmosphere. On a corner opposite of the spectacular Teatro Juarez there is a restaurant (not outdoor) that specializes in the sizzling molcajetes served at your table. I think the name of the restaurant is Los Molcajetes. It's been a few years since I visited Guanajuato, so it might not still be there but, if it is, one of the most memorable meals I've had in Mexico and well-worth searching out.

All in all, the city of Guanajuato is absolutely beautiful with its hills and tunnels, and at the center of it all, Jardin de la Union is a delight.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I haven't been in years so I'm not much help except to say I think the dish Carne en su jugo from Karne Garabaldi is almost worth the airfare alone. I hope you get a chance to try it.

The toursity joints on the square are fun, especially if you're with a big group.

Do you remember the name of that absolutely terrific seafood restaurant in Tlaquepaque?

I'd recommend that place to anyone!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Do you remember the name of that absolutely terrific seafood restaurant in Tlaquepaque?

I'd recommend that place to anyone!

Answered my own question. It was "El Pescador Rojas."

Here's a link to a photo somebody else took of their meal there. I'm pretty sure the photo is of the whole fried mojarra. That's what I had, too, and it was wonderful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abest/4139112602/

Dang! I almost forgot about Las Mecedes in Guanajuato. It was a killer lunch. I wrote about it a million years ago here. I still dream of a few of the dishes after all these years.

oct2008405.jpg

I think I remember hearing that they moved to the center of town and have a real restaurant now.

Also in Gto, we ate a sandwich with chicarrones and avocado. Really good! A local fave but can't remember the name.

For a place that's not known for its food, we ate very well!

And I never saw it on the street, but DK's poblanos stuffed with sardines and potatoes comes from here. One of my favorite dishes ever!

dec2006007.jpg

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Dang! I almost forgot about Las Mecedes in Guanajuato. It was a killer lunch. I wrote about it a million years ago here. I still dream of a few of the dishes after all these years.

oct2008405.jpg

I think I remember hearing that they moved to the center of town and have a real restaurant now.

Also in Gto, we ate a sandwich with chicarrones and avocado. Really good! A local fave but can't remember the name.

For a place that's not known for its food, we ate very well!

And I never saw it on the street, but DK's poblanos stuffed with sardines and potatoes comes from here. One of my favorite dishes ever!

dec2006007.jpg

Indeed...

Here's another report from an equally-entranced diner.

http://livingandwork...des-guanajuato/

But for some reason, I thought that Las Mercedes was basically the sort of thing one has to "know about," as it was served in the living/dining room of their home.

No more?

Edited by Jaymes (log)