• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miel Picante

found this on Kindred cocktails:

http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/miel-picante-punch

have a few questions to throw out there...

1. would this/could this work cold for a crowd

2. RE "apple cider" unfiltered juice or some carbonated hard cider??

3. how would you play with this recipe ??

thanks, looking to make a 'signature" drink for my bbq tommorow, in past made philly fish house punch, a punch take on the Jack Rose, and a Pensiero (which i modified a bit), all of which were big hits with my cocktail neophyte crowd...they all asked "what are you making this year"??... need to keep it relatively simple, and unfortunatley i have no access to Batavia Arrak or other swedish punsch type ingredient...and even good apr'y is hard to find where i am

party is tomorrow, sorry for short notice, any help would be great tho!

thanks in advance

found this on Kindred cocktails:

http://www.kindredco...l-picante-punch

have a few questions to throw out there...

1. would this/could this work cold for a crowd

2. RE "apple cider" unfiltered juice or some carbonated hard cider??

3. how would you play with this recipe ??

thanks, looking to make a 'signature" drink for my bbq tommorow, in past made philly fish house punch, a punch take on the Jack Rose, and a Pensiero (which i modified a bit), all of which were big hits with my cocktail neophyte crowd...they all asked "what are you making this year"??... need to keep it relatively simple, and unfortunatley i have no access to Batavia Arrak or other swedish punsch type ingredient...and even good apr'y is hard to find where i am

party is tomorrow, sorry for short notice, any help would be great tho!

thanks in advance

Can't say whether the Miel Picante Punch would work cold but if that doesn't work out perhaps the Mother's Ruin Punch would suffice. Sounds like a great summer punch to me and one I plan to try at my next BBQ affair.

Then there is the excellent Mother's Ruin Punch by Philip Ward: sparkling wine, gin, sweet vermouth, grapefruit, lemon.

It's fresh and crisp - a perfect summer punch.

6917368198_a39c90636a_z.jpg

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Yes! The Mother's Ruin recipe is genius. In fact, the "bones" of that recipe are so solid, I have swapped ingredients in and out and made variations that are delicious as well. Subbed Smith & Cross rum for gin, no chai in the vermouth, lime juice for lemon and used ginger ale instead of champagne to top and it was equally delicious. It's an easy drink to portion out and multiply up. Seriously great punch. Enjoy, and let us know what you ended up with.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Yes! The Mother's Ruin recipe is genius. In fact, the "bones" of that recipe are so solid, I have swapped ingredients in and out and made variations that are delicious as well. Subbed Smith & Cross rum for gin, no chai in the vermouth, lime juice for lemon and used ginger ale instead of champagne to top and it was equally delicious. It's an easy drink to portion out and multiply up. Seriously great punch. Enjoy, and let us know what you ended up with.

What would be your go to gin for this? Plymouth? Something more in the Beefeater/Tanq range? Or is it pretty flexible when it comes to the gin?

I have a fair amount of Plymouth on hand so that was the direction I was leaning.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

And have you moved on to a new location, Katie? Seems like you were at another place before this. Tapestry I think it was?

~tanstaafl2

Ok folks, you convinced me..Mother's Ruin it is, I am going with Plymouth, (gave me an excuse to go buy a bottle-the shop I stopped in still had the prevoius bottle shape-must not sell much there)

I am steeping some cinnamon tea in the vermouth (M&R) as suggested by an LA times article i found from 2008, and using an italian Brut for the champagne...

How would proseco carry in this-too sweet? What if I used Punt e mes (i loves this stuf-but wonder if it would overwhelm this)) without the chai/cinnamon??? Hmm, katie, a rum version...maybe next time, but my guests need to learn Gin!