• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bean Dip Ideas Needed

Shel_B

We're having a celebratory lunch this weekend, and Mexican food will be served. I was asked to bring an appetizer, and thought about a bean dip as it's easy and travels well. Any ideas? I've got a couple in my recipe collection, but nothing that's making me very excited. The in-laws are not very adventurous eaters, prefering plain, simple fare, and not too spicy, either.

Ideas other than a dip would also be appreciated.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

A super simple dip that has appealed to many is a can of garbanzos with their liquid (I know...), a couple green onions, and cilantro all wizzed in the food processor for several minutes until super smooth. I usually add a few hot peppers but in your case that might not be wise. Add salt, pepper and lemon or lime juice to taste. The chickpeas seem to taste less earthy to some and this does not thicken upon standing as much as pintos or black beans. It is really good with Trader Joe mini rye crisps or a garlicy pita chip.

A super simple dip that has appealed to many is a can of garbanzos with their liquid (I know...), a couple green onions, and cilantro all wizzed in the food processor for several minutes until super smooth. I usually add a few hot peppers but in your case that might not be wise. Add salt, pepper and lemon or lime juice to taste. The chickpeas seem to taste less earthy to some and this does not thicken upon standing as much as pintos or black beans. It is really good with Trader Joe mini rye crisps or a garlicy pita chip.

I really got stuck on 'with their liquid'...as you knew some would. I don't understand. "Open a can of chickpeas...rinse the liquid off big time.

personally like the taste? Should I really try this idea? I would first think of tahini (Middle East) and, if not, then olive oil, etc.

We host our Annual Dog Weekend in August and I'm always looking for new Hispanic stuff to serve...all dog owners being lovers of Mexican food...especially Margaritas. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

This is very good, and not too hot, although I do increase the hot sauce and double the chopped green chiles. I prefer it warm, but it's also good cold, with a little extra milk to thin it out. Also, I use all extra sharp cheddar:

GREEN CHILE CHEESE SPREAD

http://www.recipezaar.com/19079

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

This is very good, and not too hot, although I do increase the hot sauce and double the chopped green chiles. I prefer it warm, but it's also good cold, with a little extra milk to thin it out. Also, I use all extra sharp cheddar:

I am going to try this one. Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I am going to try this one. Thanks. :smile:

You're welcome! Let me know how it turns out.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

My neighbor makes a dip from a can of B & M Baked Beans (mashed) and adds green chiles and finely chopped, fried onions.

She serves them with whole wheat pita chips.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

More Mediterranean than Mexican, but I like to make a pot of white beans with plenty of onions, garlic, and smoked pork then puree all or part of it in the food processor, drizzle some pungent olive oil and smoked paprika on top, then serve with 'crackers' made from foccaccia, sliced thin, drizzled with olive oil, and briefly baked in the oven to dry out. Winner.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

More Mediterranean than Mexican, but I like to make a pot of white beans with plenty of onions, garlic, and smoked pork then puree all or part of it in the food processor, drizzle some pungent olive oil and smoked paprika on top, then serve with 'crackers' made from foccaccia, sliced thin, drizzled with olive oil, and briefly baked in the oven to dry out. Winner.

@thirtyoneknots: If you want this more Mexican in flavor, add some cilantro (unless you're a hater) and maybe a drizzle of achiote oil.

My neighbor makes a dip from a can of B & M Baked Beans (mashed) and adds green chiles and finely chopped, fried onions.

[@andisenji: that sounds GOOD! Are the onions fried in butter or lard or do you use the :blush: canned french fried onions?

I sometimes take the flavor profile of a bean dip and use whole, unmashed beans. It's more like a salad or even a tapenade in texture, but still scoopable onto chips, and somehow feels lighter.

@AChris Hennes: I sort of went that route when I "invented" my 4 Can Bean Salad for Johnny (who is a favorite bartender): a can of chickpeas, a can of black eyed peas, a can of canalini (sp?) beans, all well drained and rinsed, and a can of Del Monte Petite Diced tomatoes with basil and (some other herbs) UNDRAINED, a large red onion and one celery heart, no leaves, onion and celery chopped to about the size of the chick peas. Mix all together in a LARGE bowl, including about 1/2 the tomato juice from the can. Add about a 1/2 tsp of dried thyme (or a heaping teaspoon of fresh, off the stems) and moisten with about 1/2 a smal bottle of Newman's Own original dressing. By all means, use your homemade vinagarette if it's available, but I love the balance of flavors in the Newman's! (It's quick, too!) Cover with plastic wrap and then foil and refrigerate for flavors to blend, but allow to come to cool room temp before serving. ( the plastic wrap keeps the acids from eating holes in the foil.) First time I made this, Johnny ate almost entire bowl; even the dog would not sleep with him that night! :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I came up with one I really like. White beans, kalamata olives, shallot, squirt of tomato paste, parsley, lemon juice, and a drizzle of olive oil. More olive oil for a dip, less for a sandwich spread.

@thirtyoneknots: If you want this more Mexican in flavor, add some cilantro (unless you're a hater) and maybe a drizzle of achiote oil.

That would certainly do it for the OP's needs--though for my own purposes I prefer the Mediterranean idiom more.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

[@andisenji: that sounds GOOD! Are the onions fried in butter or lard or do you use the :blush: canned french fried onions?

She fries them in bacon fat - more flavor and also includes some very finely crumbled crisp bacon - I forgot when I first posted.

I also forgot that she stirs in a tablespoon of freshly mixed (hot) Colmans mustard, to give it a bit of tangyness. Can also use hot Chinese mustard or in a pinch, a lesser amount of wasabi.

It is somewhat sweet, slightly smoky, oniony and with a hint of bacon. I don't really taste the diced (canned) green chiles but there is a difference if they are not included. But if you never have tasted it, you probably would not know the difference.

She told me that it was a spur of the moment replacement for a black bean dip because she forgot to buy a can of black beans when she shopped and the only canned beans she had on hand was one of the tall cans of B & M baked beans so she tried it and everyone liked it so well she never went back to the black bean dip.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I lost the original recipe when my computer crashed a few years ago, but here are the basics:

Saute 1/2 cup chopped onions in olive oil until softened. Transfer to a blender, add a can of drained pinto beans, two or three canned chipotle chiles with a lttle of the adobo gravy, and then blend until desired "smoothness". Season with salt, pepper, and cumin to taste. (You can blend in some cilantro if you like). Return to a small saucepan to warm trough and serve warm with tortilla chips.

A layered dip of homemade refried black beans, topped with guacomole, chopped tomatoes, and crumbled fresh Mexican cheese or cotijo is excellent and always a big hit; you can serve a hot salsa on the side for those who want to add it.

Again, what fat do you use to refry the beans?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I have a really lazy Mexican bean dip.

2 chorizo, diced finely

1 tin Refried beans (Old El Paso in Australia)

150ml water

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

fry the diced chorizo until well browned, add refried beans and water, simmer for 5 minutes then fold in cheese.

Serve warm with sour cream, salsa and corn chips

Simon