• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commercial mayonnaise – likes, dislikes?

JAZ

If we lived in a world without blenders, I could see the store-bought thing. But this is just too easy to make at home.

If you use one of these "French working jars" and a conical wisk, mayonnaise is stupid-easy.

7270017434_fb96612e85_n.jpg

Conical whisk? Picture of same, please!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Nope, THIS is a conical whisk. It's used by plungering it up and down, rather than whipping in a circular motion.

They're dead common down here for making mayo and frothing egg whites for espumilla.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Nope, THIS is a conical whisk. It's used by plungering it up and down, rather than whipping in a circular motion.

They're dead common down here for making mayo and frothing egg whites for espumilla.

That's what my mom always used for making gravies and cream sauces. The best way to get flour lumps out of anything. I still have hers and pick them up when I find them at garage sales. Haven't ever seen one in a store.

A kind person once sent me a jar of Dukes. Hands down the best mayo I have tasted for bacon tomato sandwiches.

In general, Best Foods (aka Hellmans). Nothing 'low fat', because for some reason they all get sweet. <ick>

Himself likes Miracle Whip on sandwiches and stuff, poor benighted fellow.

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

They should just go ahead and name the product "Hellmann's" nation wide.

Agreed, very weird to have two names.

My Dad is a mayo fiend. Since he grew up poor the only things he had in the house at all times were mayo, bread and Dr. Pepper. His favorite comfort food from his childhood? Mayonnaise sandwiches dipped in Dr. Pepper, his favorite treat was drinking the mayo-spiked soda at the end.

He's passed his love for it on to me but sadly I can't get into his favorite application...

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

They should just go ahead and name the product "Hellmann's" nation wide.

Agreed, very weird to have two names.

But supposedly the recipes for the two, while extremely similar, are NOT identical, with some people finding the Best Foods mayo to be more tangy.

Hence, while you're choosing which brand to use (and therefore whom to alienate regarding the name), you'll have to pick a constituency to alienate recipe- and taste-wise as well.

The back-story is that Hellman's was invented by a Mr. Hellman in a NY deli in the early 1900's. At about the same time, Best Foods mayo was introduced on the west coast. In the early 1930's, Best Foods bought out Hellman's but, by then, each brand had built a strong market share in their individual markets, so the decision was made to just leave well enough alone.

And that's worked pretty well for, what, 80 years?

I doubt they'll be changing anything any time soon.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Mayonnaise - Stuff of legends...

I've given this a lot of thought through the years - not that it's important, but it's curious to me why the subject of mayonnaise engenders such strong emotions that people feel the need to revile their personal "non-choice" with words like "nasty" and "vile" and "repugnant" and "disgusting." Forget religion and politics - the thing you cannot discuss in polite company is mayonnaise preferences.

I don't know why the discussion gets so personal and so insulting and so heated.

But I do know one thing.

Everybody has their likes and dislikes...

But the Miracle Whip folks sure are a hell of a lot nicer about it.

:cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

One thing is sure, if my father had the opportunity he would burn every ounce of miracle whip on the earth.

Never actually tried it.

On a side note, does anyone in this thread know what they use instead of mayo on Togo's sandwiches? A slight tang, I love it.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

i like Hellman's too. We use the reduced fat version.

My husband must have mayo on almost everything. I recently switched him from full-fat to reduced fat mayo and he is very accepting of the change. If he didn't like it he would insist on the return of his old mayo.

In a report published this June 2012, Cook's Illustrated recommended Hellman's Reduced Fat Mayo (third choice) and said, "it seemed like the real deal".

They should just go ahead and name the product "Hellmann's" nation wide. Maybe it's just me but "Best Foods" sounds like a questionable store brand I would pass right over in a supermarket.

Survey says: wrong! Then you couldn't have the singing ad, "Bring out the Best Foods and bring out the best". My east coast hubby sings it as "Bring out the Hellmans and bring out the best" but when I point out that version doesn't have the same echo effect and pleasing symmetry it falls on deaf ears. I just don't understand people who can be good and decent yet so in error... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Mayonnaise has little utility other than dipping, binding sandwich fillings, and as a spread on sandwiches at my house.

I make a mix of mayo, fresh dili, a bit of onion and salt & pepper. Then I slather this over a large wild salmon filet before tossing the fish on a hot grill. Mayo has many more uses, I'm sure.

"Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else"

Sir James M. Barrie

And most recipes I've seen for Asian Honey Walnut Shrimp/Prawns call for mayo in the sauce.

• 3 years later...

no sugar in Hellmann's

last item in the ingredients list is, though, natural flavors.

that's probably an oxymoron.

BTW  Tj's has or used to have their 'own' Mayo.  I used to get it

if there is a TJ's near you, its worth a try.  as you can take it back.

its very very egg-'y in a good sense.

when Hellmann's is $ 1.99  I stock up, just to get it out of the way.

:laugh:

PS  : what does Dukes have vs H's and visa versa ?

If Ive ever had Dukes i remember nothing about it.

Mayo is one of the Three Major Food Groups in my opinion

Edited by rotuts (log)

PS  : what does Dukes have vs H's and visa versa ?

Good  questions!

Hellman's Real Mayo  lists its ingredients thusly:

SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, VINEGAR, SALT, SUGAR, LEMON JUICE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY), NATURAL FLAVORS. GLUTEN-FREE.

Duke's thisly:

Ingredients: Soybean oil, eggs, water, distilled and cider vinegar, salt, oleoresin paprika, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor. Contains: Eggs

Pretty close.  

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

What's your favorite store-bought brand of mayonnaise?

Some like Hellman's. Some Duke's. Some (gasp) Trader Joe's.

Some even go as so far as to like Kewpie the best (ahem).

Me? Lately, I've been enjoying Duke's; I recently used it on a deconstructed BLT, and it was wonderful.

Duke's and Hellman's and Best Foods' have similar ingredients. Kewpie has some other stuff in it.

HELLMAN'S WEB SITE

DUKE'S

TRADER JOE'S

KEWPIE VIA ASIAN FOOD GROCER

Have at it.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

FYI: Hellmans is known as Best Foods, west of the Rockies.  I was a lifelong Hellmans fan on the East Coast and when we moved to AZ, I wondered why no one stocked it. 

We recently moved to FL, and I tried Dukes when it was on sale and we liked it as much as Hellmans, so I buy either, depending on sale price.  Though the stores where I buy Dukes does not sell it in squeezables (or perhaps Dukes doens't make it in squeezables).