• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a Finished Bone-in Rib Roast 140-145F (Sous Vide)?

Paul Bacino

"Working Backwards.. I want a finished 9# Bone-in Ribeye temp @140-145F.. I plan on Sous vide it between 135-140F( Variable?) for about 18hrs? and finishing in a 425-500F( Variable? )--rest 15 mins!!

Ideas here?" I think this is a good finished temp for this group, I would prefer mine less, but I'm open for any thought.

Paul

Its good to have Morels

If you have an oven that can go that low, I prefer to roast at 140 rather than SV. The main advantage is that roasting dries out the surface, giving you better browning when you blast it with heat at the end. Also, it's logistically simpler to chuck it into an oven than trying to find a water bath big enough.

PS: I am a guy.

There's no need to sous vide it. Just put it into an oven at 200F. At this temperature, there will be negligible thermal carryover (perhaps 1-2F), so set your probe thermometer to 140F.

As Shalmanese stated, doing it in the oven allows for better final browning. For the browning, set your oven as high as it will go after you remove the meat, and make sure it's 100% clean before you turn it on. Smoke alarms don't take kindly to burnt sugar.

Edited by HowardLi (log)

Ok..

I'll re-tool. No SV

Let me, run this idea!! My oven will do 135F, would it be safe to run the roast ( I'm having to deal with a 8-10 hr window) for that long in a convection oven @140F with a roaster pan of water under it.

I know that when we had a cater do our rib roast for my daughters wedding he had a professional oven ( humidity controlled) and cooked our 15# babies about 18 hrs @ 135

Paul

We leave Am about 9-10 AM and get back @ 4-5 PM with dinner no later than 7 PM.

If I do a lower oven roast, would longer be better, safer? I will probably end up hitting this with high heat ( 500F ), depending on surface crust and internal temp.

Thoughts?

Come to think about it, dcarch suggested a Dutch oven or Le Creuset to keep the moisture level up @ those lower temps?

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

I wouldn't cook anything in the oven at such a low temperature. The meat would be in the danger zone for way too long.

I'm assuming you have a probe thermometer? If you don't, get one right now. Having said that, I would do the roast at 200F until the inside registered 135F, then I would drop the heat to 140 F (verify with oven thermometer) and keep warm with the roast wrapped in foil to prevent evaporation.

If you get home by 4, you could cook at 500 for 45-55 min, turn oven off and leave, oven door closed, for 90 min (test temp after hr) let rest, serve by 7. You would have to leave the meat on the counter while you are gone (from 10). Which IMO is fine if it is fresh out of the frig. I think trying to have it in the oven for 6 or more hrs is asking for trouble.

I wouldn't cook anything in the oven at such a low temperature. The meat would be in the danger zone for way too long.

Since the interior of the muscle is (assumed to be) sterile, this shouldn't be a major concern: the outside surface will come up to the oven's temperature reasonably quickly and it's smooth sailing from there, from a food-safety standpoint. Unless you've jaccarded the meat, of course.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Since the interior of the muscle is (assumed to be) sterile, this shouldn't be a major concern: the outside surface will come up to the oven's temperature reasonably quickly and it's smooth sailing from there, from a food-safety standpoint. Unless you've jaccarded the meat, of course.

I hear ya, but in this instance we don't have the crutch of SV and really are depending on a rule of thumb.

I hear ya, but in this instance we don't have the crutch of SV and really are depending on a rule of thumb.

It's not a rule of thumb: the interior of a solid muscle really is sterile as far as pathogens are concerned. There are exceptions, but they are extremely rare. So your only concern is the exterior, and if your concern is how slowly the surface comes up to temp, a quick dip in boiling water will sterilize it too.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Or, just start it in a 200F oven and drop to 140F.

I dislike boiling water as I feel like a lot of the flavor of the crust comes from surface meat juices that dry and brown. I've noticed that washed meat has inferior browning to unwashed meat so I try not to let meat touch water if I can help it.

PS: I am a guy.

Well..

Here is what I did!! I made a rub of Dijon Mustard/Horseradish/ thyme/ rosamary/ garlic/ Sand P.. applied and let it sit over night. I got up and smoked ( Hickory ) the darn thing for about 1.5 hrs.

Then put it in my convection oven, I put a roaster full of water below it ( i pre warmed it to 140 ) and had the oven on about 2 hrs, IR'ing the internal temp ( checking temps ) , To get 135..I had to set the oven to 155!!!!

In @ 11 AM probe read 45 degrees, home @ 4:30 probe read 112.. bad thing was it wasn't moving fast enough.. so I bumped to 175 and then last 10 mins @ 450 to crust. I pulled it @ 131. I then blow touched the out side,

No problem, everyone survived!! I would do again ( for sure ).. I just wish I would have taking it to 131@ 155 the whole time. Because the rib-cap meat was well done ( Bummer )

All Temps are F degrees.

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

If you do this again, look into the method used at Manresa where they use any extremely hot oven to roast the meat. The trick is moving the meat in and out of the oven regularly. The technique relies on bursts of heat for even cooking, resulting in a similar effect to low temperature cooking, while the hot oven creates a crust.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Basically i used the water as a temperature buffer...i had already monitor my oven prior and found 10 degrees a variable temp when tje oven cycled on and off.. cheers and thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Its good to have Morels

I've done this trick with 20 rib roasts at events. Incidentally, read the FSIS safety charts and you'll see that 131F is a safety zone and more importantly, for 6-8 hours, you're fine. I've prepared HACCP plans to back this.

1. Get yourself 2 thermometers with external probes (BBQ types).

2. Probe your rib-cut and oven separately.

3. Set your oven to a moderately high setting and decide on a "target" point, say 300F. I've had incredible results cycling higher temps because you can achieve amazing browning.

4. When the oven reaches "target", shut it down and wait will it drops to 140. Fire it back up and repeat the process until you reach your target internal temp. The longer you can keep the roast in the oven, the gentler the process and greater the results.

This process cooks the roast perfectly and allows additional tenderization to take place as the collagen contracts and is allowed to expand (prior to protein hydrolysis) as the temperature drops each time.

Your best friend here would be a cheap wireless "alarm" type thermo that will beep when the internal temp reaches, say 130 (try a Redi-Chek Remote ET-72). At this point you can keep a close eye on the temperature with a real pen in various locations (Thermoworks, etc.).

This process by far beats the "open and close the oven door" 20 times to maintain the ultra low temperature environment. Although this technique works well for dehydrating foods if UPS hasn’t delivered your Excalibur yet.