• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need advice on sponge cake layers with mousse-like filling

merstar

I want to make the Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake from Bon Appetit. I've made it many times, and it's great, but this time, I want to use two sponge cake layers instead of the ladyfingers. Do you think they would squish the filling? (there's no gelatin in the filling). I don't want to split them, and each layer has 3/4 cup flour - they're made in 9-inch rounds. Here are the ingredients of the cake I'm considering:

6 large eggs, separated

1 cup sugar

1½ cups bleached AP flour

2 tsp. baking powder

¼ tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla

Here's a link to the cake:

http://www.epicuriou...box-Cake-101955

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Does the filling normally soak into the ladyfingers a little? If so, I'd think it would do the same with the sponge. After all, ladyfingers are just one variation of sponge cake. Looks like the butter and chocolate in the filling would stabilize it enough to not need gelatin. i really don't think you have anythig to worry about.

Thanks - I was just worried that the top layer would be too heavy as compared to the ladyfingers, but I'm going to go for it.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.