• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Bite of China

liuzhou

ABOC2-1.jpg

A bit of a double update.

First of all, the entire first series with English, French or Spanish narration is now officially viewable online here.

Secondly comes the good news that a second series is in post-production and will be aired in early 2014.

http://liuzhou.co.uk...china-series-2/

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

China Central TV have now released a seven DVD set with official subtitles in English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.

It comes with a copy of the book (Chinese only) and costs ¥146.

Can you suggest an online vendor where to buy it? Thanks!

Teo

Teo

Just was watching the Staple Foods episode.....all those rice buns and noodles. I want to try making simple noodle wrappers....I think Asian Dumplings might have a recipe. We tried to make them in Vietnam....where they steam them on a piece of fine cloth (voile?) over a pot of water. Harder than it looks.

Thanks for letting us know about this series...it is SO good.

• 10 months later...

China Central Television have announced that the second 7-part series of A Bite of China will be broadcast nationally during the upcoming Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) which begins on January 31st 2014.

Titles of the episodes are Seasons, Steps, Heart, Family Life, Secrets, Meetings, and Three meals.

No doubt, they will slide out of China thereafter, as did the first series, then be officially released..

• 4 months later...

Well, on Friday night (18th April),  China Central Television finally got round to showing the first episode of Series II

(It didn't happen as promised in the post immediately above - don't know why.)

They also seem to have changed the running order. Episode one is "Steps".

But what is important is that, so far, the quality is just as Series 1. Stunning.

So far, it's only in Chinese but no doubt a English narrated version will turn up one day. It took about two years for Series 1.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just watched Series 2 Episode 6 - Secret Places. First broadcast last night.

It is stunning. Brought tears to my eyes and I even saw a good friend. Sitting in a restaurant eating, as usual.

Only one more episode to go. 

Be patient. It will appear with English in time.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello from Paris,

I have found some pieces of the BOC2 documentary which might interest some people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns1gQQpBxHg (a preview in English)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G_MSrzLREY  (episode #1 with English subtitles)

http://ninchanese.com/a-bite-of-china-season-2/ (episode #1 with no subtitles)

http://www.ovguide.com/tv_season/a-bite-of-china-season-2-259364 (supposed to be episodes #1-4, with #5-7 to come but I am unable to visualize them: maybe someone on this forum can navigate better than I...)

Have a good day, G

This is the same pattern as that with the first series.

The episodes appear one by one on YouTube etc with amateur subtitling. It isn't the greatest translation, but enough to let you follow the program. 

Later, when the DVDs are issued, the official translations will appear, then later still, versions with English voice-over. Then it will be streamable from the CCTV website.

• 2 weeks later...

The Chinese only version of Series Two is now available on DVD. It comes come on 8 discs - one each for all seven episodes plus a bonus edition of the making of the series (with some extra footage).

dvd.jpg

If they are following the example of the first series, which seems likely, the dubbed version should appear in time for Christmas. 

Edited by liuzhou (log)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Unfortunately, YouTube has removed all the videos of series 3 for copyright reasons*. This is most unusual, but may mean that CCTV (China Central Television) may be planning to stream them in the future - as they did with  series 2.

* Please note, I didn't upload them. Nothing to do with me!