• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb Loin Chops are in the fridge. What should I do with them or know?

FoodMuse

They're very easy, adaptable and delicious. I've done them over a campfire grill with a cumin/coriander/fennel seed rub; snd I've broiled and pan-fried them. Just season them to your taste and cook them on the rare side of medium rare.

I recently grilled some lamb (not loin) and glazed it with pomegranite molasses, which is terrific on lamb.

I've cooked shoulder chops which I'm not too keen on and your regular lamb rib chops, but loin chops are new to me. Help.

Try marinating them for a couple of hours in a mixture of good olive oil, finely minced garlic and finely minced fresh rosemary. Cover and refrigerate. When ready to cook grill over a medium fire to a medium degree of doneness. Salt and pepper before grilling. Baste when turning. Less done is better than overdone. We love them this way.

No need to marinate. Treat like you would a good steak. But where I sometimes like a steak rare, loin lamb chops are best medium rare. In any event: Grill, grill, grill. I'd keep the seasoning simple, though rosemary and/or garlic, as well as s&p are always appropriate with lamb.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Grilled or broiled with salt, garlic and either rosemary or oregano (I prefer rosemary), then finished like the Greeks do it (or at least my Greeks) with lemon wedges for each eater to add as much lemon as wanted. The lemon really counteracts the heavy flavor of lamb and makes eating all that crispy delicious fat guilt free (the calories vanish!).

I disagree about broiling. Unless you have a commercial powered broiler, the loin chops cook so quickly that you're not going to get any color on them before they're pink.

I usually get double-cut loin chops so they're at least 1.5-inches thick, whether U cook them in broiler or grill. Haven't tried it in my well-seasoned cast iron, but no reason why that wouldn't work.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report