• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is it a bread? or is it a cake?

Hi everyone,

I have a question. Have anyone try Bill's famous coconut quick bread recipe somewhere?

Here is my version of Bill’s Famous Coconut “Quick Bread” (It is confusing, isn't it?)

Ingredients (for 1 loaf of 23x7cm)

Dry mixture

200g all-purpose flour

75g grounded flaxseed (if you don’t have this in hands, just omit it and replace by the same amount of flour, so in total of 275g flour)

150g dried coconut flakes

1 cup = 201g white granulated white sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. cinnamon powder

Wet Mixture

2 eggs

300ml milk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

75g melted butter

—————————————–

Instruction

Step 1: preheat your oven to 180 degree Celsius. Line a 23x7x7cm baking tray with parchment paper.

Step 2: Now weight all the dry ingredients listed above into a big mixing bowl. Mix well.

Step 3: Now weight all the wet ingredients in another bowl. Mix well, too.

Step 4: Now slowly pour the wet mix into the dry mix bowl while constantly whisking using a hand whisk.

Continue whisking just until all ingredients combined and lump-free. Stop your whisking right away when you reach this stage. No more or your loaf will be dense. :(

Step 5: Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Even it out by gently “slamming” the pan against the kitchen counter a couple of times.

Step 6: Put the loaf on the lowest rack, in my case because my upper heat is stronger than my lower heat and this quick bread does take long to bake.

Step 7: Bake the loaf for approximately 50 minutes or more until the skew sticks inside the loaf coming out clear.

After 30 minutes, your kitchen will start to smell heavenly amazing. The combination of coconut, cinnamon and vanilla is irresistible.

If your loaf browned on the top too much while the inside is still not done, simply take the loaf out, cover the top with aluminum foil, and continue your baking until the skew test is achieved.

Step 8: When your loaf is done, let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes.

20 minutes are up. Now flip your loaf out of the pan. Slice and serve.

I am a bit confused? Is it a bread or is it a cake? :( Could some one define it for me please?)

Rose,

img_7396.jpg

Life is short, Food is good. Why not worry less, and enjoy more?

My new food blog at: http://simplyafoodblog.wordpress.com

Since it is in a loaf pan it is described, at least in the U.S., as a "quick bread" (meaning a bread raised with chemical leavens like baking powder or soda rather than slow yeast). If you baked it in a cake pan, you could call it a coffee cake or the new (and annoying, to me) "snacking cake." These are casual cakes not as fine, rich or carefully crafted as a classic "cake".

I've heard British folks refer to northern American muffins (such as bran, blueberry, etc.) as "cupcakes" -- although in North America those muffins are too coarse to be considered cupcakes, but are instead another type of quick bread.

Confusing, isn't it?

In my book, that's either a quick bread or a coffee cake, depending on how sweet it is and how fine the crumb turns out. Coarser crumb and less sweet are quick breads, while finer crumb and sweeter are coffee cakes.

I'd actually suggest that it's a quick bread, since it's meant to be served while still warm from the oven. Most coffee cakes take a glaze or wash of some sort, and are therefore served cool (because oven heat interferes with glaze setting, obviously.)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

pancakes,muffins, some cakes and savoury breads are considered quick breads in reference to the technique used not whether they are sweet or not. chemically leavened and mostly use the muffin method . ==> Wet and dry combined separately then the wet poured over the dry. Considering the amount of sugar in that recipe I would call it a cake.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow