• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where Will it All End - Guy Fieri to Open Restaurant in Times Square

weinoo

As the NY Times fabulous Flo reported yesterday, Guy Fieri will be opening a restaurant with a new concept, sometime this fall and somewhere in Times Square.

As he might scream, "that's money." My prediction - there's a lot of money backing this one, and it'll last as long as Jekyll and Hyde and the ESPN Zone.

Will you ever set foot inside? I won't.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I don't think they're gearing this restaurant for the foodie set... I think it's for the hordes of tourists who love GF and will go anywhere he tells them - especially if it has his name on it! So, it's good that it's in Times Square, which is perfect for their target audience - and will have 0 impact on most NYers who actually care about food...

Pardon me for being a pessimist, but shouldn't it read "Guy Fieri sells his name to a restauranteur looking to make an easy buck of tourists in Times Square"

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

God help me, I'm beginning to enjoy the bleached blond sod. At a certain time of night, after a few beverages, his show is visual drunk food. I usually end up making a sandwich with bacon in it.

I still won't go in any of his places though.

Oddly I remember watching the Next Food Network Star program he competed in and can not remember a single thing about his food or style. Fame sells food. Some of the places he features on Triple D actually make interesting dishes so I think one must wait and see what this "new concept" is and how it cooks up.

I know one of his culinary professors from UNLV. This professor wasn't particularly kind about Mr. Ferry's skills as a cook.

But, let's face it, he's the one making the big bucks shouting catch phases ("I'm taking the express train to flava town!"), while looking like a photo-negative of Mr. T. So in that regard, he's quite successful. Who knows what's he's like when the cameras stop rolling...

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

• 5 months later...

Interestingly enough, here's what I wrote in July, 2008 - when he was on TNFNS...

What was Guy Fieri's "point of view"?

To be the biggest d-bag possible?

And even if he cooked for the show, he doesn't now, does he? I can watch that diners show for about 1 minute.

Funny thing, the other day there was an early episode of Molto Mario on, and it was so great.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I don't even think it's middle American food. What an awful review. But it's what I would have expected from the few times of watching his hackneyed clumsy cooking.

Planning on hitting NYC soon but I'll eschew Times Square and instead hit some deli's, bistros and cutting edge Asian places.

Not that social behavior in this country (or any other) is expected to make logical sense, but I love how incessant political trash talking often gets by with just a wink and a nod while the NYT review--which, for all its snark (or creativity, depending on your point of view) was basically a statement of fact--lights up the blogo/Twittosphere and, for just one example of misplaced reaction, gets called a "sucker punch" by an AP writer. What, Wells was supposed to warn Fieri that a skewering was imminent? Granted this place was ultra-low-hanging fruit, so the review might have been just a bit of overkill, but with Fieri being a food celebrity, so to speak, I can understand why the takedown.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I wonder, has anyone we know eaten there?

Weinoo, you're in the neighborhood; You should take one for the team and go on a fact-finding visit.

We have a motion and a second. I call the question even though that's not really proper procedure.