• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arrowroot Cookies

DanM

Does anyone have a reliable formula for Arrowroot cookies?

Thanks!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Yup! I bought a 2 lbs bag of Bob's Red Mill yesterday. The only recipe on the package was for gluten free snickerdoodles.

It does not have to be gluten free. I'm exploring cookie styles that are lower in sugar and fat. My 2 year old loves to make cookies, so I'm trying to avoid fattening her up.

Ok then. I asked because I've got about a dozen Arrowroot recipes, and I was trying to narrow them down. If you're going for a lower-fat version, here's the best one:

150g plain flour

60g arrowroot flour

65g icing sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

55g neutral-flavoured oil (I like sunflower, other options include corn or canola)

30g thickened cream

---

Heat the oven to 180C/350F. (no such thing as preheating - it's hot, or it's not.)

Place the flours, icing sugar, baking soda and cream of tartar in a bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined.

With a whisk, slowly add in the cream, working the flour slightly.

Add the oil to bring the mixture together. The dough should be slightly crumbly (like shortcrust pastry), but when pinched together, hold its shape.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured bench top and roll out to 1/8 inch. Using a cookie cutter of your choice, cut out shapes from your dough and transfer to a lined baking sheet.

You do not have to leave space between biscuits as the dough should not spread during baking. Bake the biscuits for around 8 minutes or until they begin to slightly turn in colour.

Alternately, if you like bar-type biscuits, you can roll out whole sheets and then cut with your favourite pastry wheel (these will be similar to the British-style biscuits sold in the Caribbean).

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Great!!! Thanks for the help. Now to buy a bucket of fun cookie cutters for to use:) Pictures will come soon.

Btw... Lower fat is a preference. Do you have a favorite arrowroot cookie formula?

Here they are: Heart-Attack Arrowroots

1 C softened sweet butter, no other

1/2 C panela or brown sugar

1 egg

1 tbsp maple syrup

1 C AP flour

1 C arrowroot flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

a pinch of salt (say, about 1/8 tsp, but I never measure this - I use however much I can pinch between my thumb and first two fingers.)

*optional* 1/2 C chopped walnuts

--

Heat your oven to 350 F / 180 C

Cream the butter with the sugar until well mixed

Add egg, maple syrup

Sift in flours with soda. Blend well.

Turn out onto a floured counter (use arrowroot flour for rolling)

Roll out to 1/4" thick and cut as desired.

Bake 8-10 minutes or until just starting to turn colour at the edges.

These don't spread too badly (although if the oven isn't perfectly hot, they can warp); I have another recipe that must be baked in the traditional clay moulds which is a bit richer, but these ones taste worlds better than the others. They're adapted from one of my gran's recipes that calls for "butter the size of my fist, a dollop of syrup," and "a bone-china cup of flour" and so they're a product of a bit of trial and error....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)