• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turn a bazooka joe shot into a long drink

joe92

New to the forum so hello! :smile: I actually found it looking for an answer to the following question.

Could you help me turn a Bazooka Joe shot into a long drink?

I have been trying to get ahold of some banana liquor for quite a while since I heard about this shot. I recently went to Gran Canaria and saw some in nearly every shop quite cheap. Happily bought a bottle of it to bring home so I could finally try the shot. Ever since I heard the name I wanted to try it, simply because my name is Joe and I want to be able to make a shot with my name in it. No other reason. Maybe it's why I make so much coffee... a lovely cup of Joe. I can confirm to the flavour of the shot being a pleasant one. It has a sort of bubblegum flavour and is quite a thick drink, a thickness quite like pinacolada. I would say it suits hot weather perfectly. Now the problem begins in that it is a shot so the flavour is gone after a few minutes and the enjoyment of the drink way before then. I am looking to turn it into a long drink to serve my friends on my birthday next week. Any help is appreciated. I don't have a blender but do have the rest of the cocktail making kit.

The ingredients in case you've never heard of it before are:

1/2 measure Banana Liquor

1/2 measure Irish Cream

1/2 measure Blue Curacao

Place in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until a frost forms and strain into a shot glass.

My initial thoughts are to use ice cream, but since I don't have a blender I can't do that. Perhaps milk, cream or 50:50 would do the trick. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Joe

If this were my birthday, I'd make a few substitutions. Use Irish Whiskey for Irish Cream. Use Lillet for Banana Liqueur. Use Cointreau for Blue Curacao. But, hey, it's your birthday. Happy Birthday.

Weeski

by Dave Wondrich

2 oz Irish whiskey

1 oz Lillet Blanc

3/4 oz Triple sec, Cointreau

2 ds Orange bitters

1 twst Orange peel (as garnish)

Stir, strain, straight up, cocktail glass, garnish

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Thanks! Not one for orange flavoured drinks myself but I know several people who are. I'll have to mix that up some time for one and see what they think, just need to get ahold of some orange angostura and lillet blanc first.

I haven't used your ingredient list, but I have infused vodka with Bazooka gum to make a wonderful liqueur. What I do is get some ice crushed or shaved like a snow cone and then pour a shot over that. The bubble gum flavor and the sno-cone-like presentation is very whimsical and great on a hot night or day.

I haven't used your ingredient list, but I have infused vodka with Bazooka gum to make a wonderful liqueur. What I do is get some ice crushed or shaved like a snow cone and then pour a shot over that. The bubble gum flavor and the sno-cone-like presentation is very whimsical and great on a hot night or day.

Indeed, why not scrap the shooter and go with Eben Freeman's Bazooka Bubblegum Cocktail?

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Seems like you might be better served leaving that one as a shot and consider something like the banana daquiri that can be found in Beachbum Berry Remixed.

Hard to go too wrong if you throw a banana in a basic rum, lime juice and simple syrup combo and blend it with ice until smooth!

Although without a blender I guess that would be a bit of a challenge.

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I could just make the shot and poor it over a snow cone. I had never considered that before. Cheers.

why not scrap the shooter and go with Eben Freeman's Bazooka Bubblegum Cocktail?

That looks interesting, might give it a go. Thanks.

As I think about it more, Baileys is a blend of Irish whiskey, cream and sugar. Stripping the shot back to remove the cream I could just make it with Irish whiskey and sugar syrup. I had a look at their website and it says they use a triple pot blend whiskey from the New Midleton Distillery so I'll need to find one that fits the bill. Then, since there is no cream in it I could use soda water, or any other carbonated drink as a mixer. The drink will no longer be a thick one but should hopefully be good nonetheless. It will require some testing to find the mix that tastes similar (or maybe find a happy accident) but I'll post if I find the combination. Doubt this will be happening before the birthday celebrations though so I'm on the lookout for a different, interesting cocktail to try.

Edited by joe92 (log)

As I think about it more, Baileys is a blend of Irish whiskey, cream and sugar. Stripping the shot back to remove the cream I could just make it with Irish whiskey and sugar syrup....Then, since there is no cream in it I could use soda water, or any other carbonated drink as a mixer.

Cream soda, perhaps?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

@tanstaafl2. Thanks for the suggestion. No blender yet, but that's one to remember for when I get one.

As I think about it more, Baileys is a blend of Irish whiskey, cream and sugar. Stripping the shot back to remove the cream I could just make it with Irish whiskey and sugar syrup....Then, since there is no cream in it I could use soda water, or any other carbonated drink as a mixer.

Cream soda, perhaps?

Ha, of course. That shall be the first attempt. Cheers!

BTW, to anyone making the Weeski, thirtyoneknots has kindly pointed out that in Dave Wondrich's 2005 book Killer Cocktails, the amount is 1 tsp of Cointreau, rather than the 3/4oz that the Food & Wine source lists. I've updated the cocktail and must say it sounds great with just a touch of Cointreau.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community