• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help Me Plan My Trip to Paris: Where to Dine?

oakapple

I'll be in Paris for three nights, August 9, 10, and 11. It may seem odd to be asking about this in May, but I know that some places take reservations months in advance. I also know that many restaurants take their annual vacations in August, so the choices could be limited. For instance, Le Meurice is a place I might have chosen, but they're on holiday from July 14 to August 27.

I don't want 3 dinners of that type, but I'd certainly do one, along with a couple of other options at (say) the one- or two-star level, a mix of traditional and modern French cuisine. What would you recommend?

Well, of course - Spring. We totally enjoyed our meal at La Régalade Saint-Honoré.

Rino was great. Roman chef there doing some awesome stuff.

L'Agrume in the 5th. And the rest of Talbot's blog. As well as Paris by Mouth.

And if I was heading to Paris now, I would want to try Verjus, a restaurant that was opened by a couple who used to do private dinners in their apartment. They're expat Seattleites.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I recommend Yves Camdeborde's Le Comptoir du Relais (9 Carrefour de l'Odéon, in the 6th arrondissement). I had a few excellent meals there last year (eGullet discussion here). It's a very casual restaurant that serves elevated bistro food (more on the traditional side). Outstanding terrines, beef cheek daube, charcuterie plate, etc.

L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon has excellent food but felt a little impersonal (I went last June). It was fascinating sitting at the counter and watching the cooks in action.

Other places that I would love to try are Frenchie, and Inaki Aizpitarte's Le Chateaubriand or more casual Le Dauphin.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Keep in mind that I was in Paris a year ago, but Forest (a eG'er) recommended cave a l’os a moelle to us and we loved it. The address is: 181 Rue Lourmel 75015 and she reminded us not to confuse it with l'os a moelle across the street. You'll need reservations. Very relaxed place, food is served 'family style' - if you don't have a full table, they will fill you up with others. We met a delightful couple from Canada - the four of us seemed to be the only non-French folks there.

To the best of my knowledge, most of the restaurants recommended above are closed in August, Your choices are definitely going to be limited. You can start making contact with your target rooms now, but many do not set their closures until June.

Open in August, sadly, are the brasseries which are "can miss" venues.

Verjus, by the way, is getting mixed reviews, mostly as being overpriced for quality and quantity and for being underwhelming. Also, 100% English speaking diners and staff. FWIW...

eGullet member #80.

Verjus, by the way, is getting mixed reviews, mostly as being overpriced for quality and quantity and for being underwhelming. Also, 100% English speaking diners and staff. FWIW...

The "underwhelming" part isn't good.

David Lebovitz liked it, however.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Indeed. That is why I am startled/saddened by other reports. I think it may be a function of portion expectation. I, personally, very much enjoy the meal size at Rino, for instance, while others find it meager. Leaving a restaurant unfulfilled puts a damper on the entire experience.

eGullet member #80.

For a truly old school, haute cuisine experience with the most stunning views, I recommend La Tour d'Argent - the oldest restaurant in Paris. You aren't going to find anything wildly cutting edge, but it's an unforgettable experience. My trips to Paris are always planned around Ladurée, but I have a ridiculously sweet tooth

• 1 month later...

http://parisbymouth.com has a page dedicated to the restaurants they recommend and are open in august (sorted by date), because as you already mentioned about 70% of the good restaurants are closed in august.

http://parisbymouth....mer-not-closed/

'What promoters of vegetarianism maybe don't realize is that much of the world already is living a vegetarian lifestyle, and they ain't too fucking happy about it.'