• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Next NEXT Food Network Star

weinoo

Funny, I was just saying (via e-mail), to a friend that Alton was a bit annoying on the episode tonight. I wondered if I've tired of his "schtick" without the luxury of the "Good Eats" writers.....

I was quite surprised that I found Bobby Flay less grating than AB.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Funny, I was just saying (via e-mail), to a friend that Alton was a bit annoying on the episode tonight. I wondered if I've tired of his "schtick" without the luxury of the "Good Eats" writers.....

I was quite surprised that I found Bobby Flay less grating than AB.

Yes, his calling of pretty-boy Mr. So and So over and over again, and his general know-it-all-edness are fairly grating. I mean, I never liked his schtick, but could put up with it when guests like Shirley Corriher were explaining things (though, to his credit, he calls Bobby "chef" a number of times, and that's a plus).

Bobby's gotten better and better on TV...wish I could say the same for his burgers.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 4 weeks later...

Actually Alton is so odd he'd never survive Next food network star as a contestant... I don't think he is a media creation. While flay is so silky smooth, I'd buy toilet paper from him. I don't watch giada, nor would I watch a single one of her protegees, but the fan favorite voting thing seems to like them.

The last couple food network stars just aren't interesting (I can't stand guy but he is clearly popular). Can this contest really find a star? I was bummed to lose eric because I felt I might learn from him. Anyone know what he did after?

One thing I do love about the show; it certainly proves "star" is is more important than "food."

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

Finally, I'm on the cutting edge! I've never liked Alton Brown, he comes off as a bully and a preachy know-it-all. I am starting to sort of love Bobby Flay, too.

I love Bobby too. I have all his cookbooks, except those on grilling. Awesome, awesome food!

I didn't watch this week. Did we lose Ippy? He has a picture in our paper today helping at a school and it said he is opening a

restaurant called "The Dancing Pig" in Waimea on the Big Island where he's from.

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I predict that next year, in keeping with their adoption of the "Choice" singing show team format, the potential Food Network superstars will cook/audtioin for judges sitting with backs to the auditionees, in oversized rotating chairs, and who select their teams based on aroma and concocted personna.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Actually Alton is so odd he'd never survive Next food network star as a contestant... I don't think he is a media creation.

Depends on definitions I guess. He was a music video director IIRC who went to cooking school with the goal of doing educational food TV.

Between Alton's constant purse-lipped "humorless Methodist great grandmother" style critiques, and Bob & Susie trying to split the Food TV atom without any sense of irony stemming from the fact that (alleged) staged/fake shows like Mystery Diners make the rotation......any guilt I'd normally have over my love for Nadia G's Bitchin' Kitchen disappears completely.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I predict that next year, in keeping with their adoption of the "Choice" singing show team format, the potential Food Network superstars will cook/audtioin for judges sitting with backs to the auditionees, in oversized rotating chairs, and who select their teams based on aroma and concocted personna.

Umm. Meant the "Voice."

Re Alton Brown, I like quirky, but he's fake emoting too much with the team format on Next Food Network Star. Enjoy him on Iron Chef. Feel he's at his best when sparring with other food-lebrities.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Quirky? Alton has been doing the nutty professor schtick for 20+ years. I think even he's sick of it.

For me, he makes Iron Chef unwatchable. Him and his sidekick, the American Fukai-san, with the soul patch, just seem like over the hill hipsters. Iron Chef is better with the sound off.

What pains me is how few of these folks I want to watch weekly. I liked the guy from last season, but I do not want to watch sandwich king.

However, I would kill to watch justin talk me into eating deep fried sardine bones. I felt the same way on next Iron Chef-- I want to watch the person who surprises me much more than the one who just cooks well. even really really well. Which is why I watch when Morimoto battles, not cat cora or jose garces. Their food don't thrill me. I would have loved to watch Elizabeth Faulkner battle-- she surprises!

I begin to suspect we gulleers ain't the audience.

Or maybe just this gulleteer.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

The last couple food network stars just aren't interesting (I can't stand guy but he is clearly popular). Can this contest really find a star?

This show isn't about finding the elusive "star". It's about FTV promoting their already successful talent (that would be Bobby, Giada and Alton), selling their products (count the ads for their self-branded products and shows) and the ratings boost NFNS gives them.

The last thing this show is about is actually finding a new network star. The winners shows are relegated to mid-morning time slots on Sunday morning, hardly a time slot designed to expose the winner to a wide enough audience to gain a following.