• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avocado Oil – What do you do with it?

Chris Hennes

When it's available down here (and therefore very fresh, as the producers are about 10 km from me), I like to use it with potatoes - cut very thinly most of the way through, drizzled with avocado oil, then sprinkled with cinnamon and cloves and baked. Very tasty.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I like the flavour of extra virgin avocado oil on salads or in finishing dishes. A bit of it when making guacamole really bumps up the creaminess factor if you have less than perfect avocados. The less expensive refined avocado oil has less flavour but an extremely high smoke point and is my preferred oil for grilling season. Grilling over the heat of lump charcoal many oils give a faint scortched oil taste to foods where as I find with its higher smoke point , there is a cleaner taste.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

What do I do with it?

I purge it with this to keep it from going bad. In fact, I use this same stuff to keep walnut oil, Bronte pistachio paste, anything expensive from spoiling (along with refrigeration). Highly recommended. Comes with a long slender tube that you attach to the nozzle, insert into the oil container, several puffs of inert gas later, replace the screw cap, lid or cork, and its like you never opened the container.

http://www.amazon.com/HomeAndWine-com-Private-Preserve-Preservation-Spray/dp/B001AS4NCM/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1337016185&sr=8-16

Try dipping your bread in buttery Avocado oil before dipping in Dukkah.

"Avocado Oil ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

One of the few oils extracted from the fleshy pulp rather than the kernel or seed of the fruit (along with palm oil). It has the highest smoke point of the edible oils at 520°F. This would usually mean a good oil for frying; however, this is not the case, as avocado oil turns bitter when heated. It has a pale, delicate, green-yellow color and a sweet flavor and is an excellent carrier of both sweet and salty flavors."

Alchemy of the Mortar & Pestle, Vol.1. The Culinary Library, chapter, Athereolea.

I use it when I saute foods with delicate flavors. Trout is a favorite, catfish, etc. But I also use it in salad dressings - although I also like olive oil, the avocado oils is excellent in bread salads, with tomatoes and sweet onions - I usually toss in some sugar snap pea pods too.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett