• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you know if avocado oil went rancid?

HowardLi

Rancidity is typically a pretty easy smell to recognize, but it's hard to describe if you've never experienced it. Have you used this avocado oil before? Do you know what it's supposed to smell like? If it was exposed to high temperatures during shipping or storage, or was just mishandled, etc. it's certainly possible for it to develop some rancidity before its (somewhat arbitrary) "best by" date has passed.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Actually, oils can go rancid before humans can taste or smell it. (I add a little BHT to oil as soon as I bring it home and store it in the fridge. And, I buy small quantitites.) If it smells/tastes bad, then it probably is bad, whether rancid or contaminated. There have been some recent scandals involving oils being sold as one type, but actually being another type, some with chemical additives. I'd return it. If you buy more, avoid that lot number.

You might also want to read through this topic on rancidity: it's a specific type of spoilage that takes place over time. Oxidation begins the moment the oil is produced: at some point it crosses a threshold at which it can be tasted, and we call that "rancidity." We've also got this topic on Detecting Rancidity in Oil.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Consumption of rancid oils can prevent the absorbtion of or leaching out of Vitamin K from the body, Vitamin K is vital to blood clotting.

Just like rancid grains smell of crayons, rancid oils can also have a crayony odor.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!