• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kerry Beal

eG Foodblog: Kerry Beal and Anna N (2012) - Mixing it up in Manitoulin

DSCN5548.jpg

So we made an Old Flame - then packed all the booze away in boxes in the cupboard. Apparently a dry minister is going to be staying in the condo before I get back and I don't wish to offend (or tempt).

DSCN5550.jpg

Cooked up a bit of rice and heated up the leftover Vietnamese Chicken. A perfectly satisfactory meal.

Now to pack more stuff away, get the Mini Green Egg tucked away, clothes packed...

Thanks for sharing! I've really enjoyed following along.

Me too. You've added a new "must have" toy to my list, the cotton candy machine.... :rolleyes::biggrin:

Formerly "Quiltguy"

It's been terrific and a lot of fun.

(I'd love one of the cotton candy toys also.)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Had a lot of fun following along this week+... sorry to see it wrap up.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You realize of course this cotton candy machine is going to come home and never, ever get used again! It's the way of all toys - fun for a while!

And, when you get tired of looking at it, the Northern Ontario Scavenger :biggrin: will offer to take it off your hands. No thrift stores up here, gotta do my bargain hunting long distance.

Seriously though, the bug to play with it again will hit. You'll probably figure out a way to whip up a batch of cotton candy and cover it in chocolate.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Seriously though, the bug to play with it again will hit. You'll probably figure out a way to whip up a batch of cotton candy and cover it in chocolate.

Funny you should mention that...

You realize of course this cotton candy machine is going to come home and never, ever get used again! It's the way of all toys - fun for a while!

But it's such fun to play with. I did use mine when I was still catering to make "candyfloss" cone tops for cupcakes for parties for children. Very popular, especially as I made them at the party so the kids could see what I was doing.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

But it's such fun to play with. I did use mine when I was still catering to make "candyfloss" cone tops for cupcakes for parties for children. Very popular, especially as I made them at the party so the kids could see what I was doing.

True - I'm still determined to get the fat based one to work.

An Old Flame is the perfect drink to end with. What a wonderful week, I could hardly keep up. Learned I don't need the Milk Bar cookbook...or a cotton candy machine. Reinforced the value of the green egg. And really good breakfasts.

True - I'm still determined to get the fat based one to work.

You'll get it. I have no doubt about that.

Well folks - it's time to bid you adieu - there is no more food in the fridge (well there are about 6 dozen eggs but they are going home with us) and the sun is just about all the way down.

It was not one of the truly amazing sunsets that the area is known for but it was still wonderfully peaceful sitting down by the water, listening to the loons, the sound of a baseball ringing off a metal bat in the distance and the drone of an engine from a boat coming in from one of the islands in the channel.

DSCN5552.jpg

DSCN5562.jpg

Tomorrow we'll head off down the island to catch the Chi-Cheemaun ferry which will take us from the island to Tobermory which is at the tip of the Bruce Peninsula. It's about 260 km home from there - and I'm sure it will take us a little longer than usual as there are a couple of liquor stores we need to hit and the emporium in Wiarton (home of Wiarton Willie - one of the spring predicting ground hogs). Never know what lovely junk you might find in the emporium!

Thanks for following along - it's been a whole lot of fun for us to share our food and experimentation with you.

• Like 1

Terrific blog ladies. Thanks for revealing your days and nights to us.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

Thanks to all for following along. It's been great fun but I am ready to go home - I am such a wuzz away from my family. :smile:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It has been great following you guys. It made me miss home a bit and hanging with you two in the kitchen experimenting. Your sense of "Let's try it" is truly inspiring.

I never miss a post by either of you! Thanks a bunch.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Truly inspiring....got my Momofuku pork belly made and the buns are in progress (used pre-cut round dim sum bun papers which I found at the local Asian store rather than hand cut parchment). Also had a go at the pig skin crackling which is in the fridge....made me get off my butt.

Thanks for your efforts.