• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Kerry Beal and Anna N (2012) - Mixing it up in Manitoulin

Felt the need of a little chocolate work today - so I dipped the Breton Butter Cookies I picked up at Homesense and also made some clusters - freeze dried corn kernel clusters. Need a name for them - I'm soliciting suggestions.

They are really tasty by the way - the crunch really makes them.

DSCN5511.jpg

DSCN5510.jpg

Heidi and Kerry. You are talking about those crunchy corn snack things which come in little paper packets and one finds in convenience stores?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Those dipped cookies look awesome! Also, Kerry, thanks for reminding me of souffle omelettes, I followed your example and had one for breakfast today. Except I topped mine with ricotta instead of preserves. Like eating a cloud, yum!

Heidi and Kerry. You are talking about those crunchy corn snack things which come in little paper packets and one finds in convenience stores?

Nope - freeze dried corn kernels - the kind you find in survivalist or backpacking stores.

With a gift certificate burning a hole in our pockets - we headed out for lunch at the Anchor today - only to find it closed again!

So we headed off to Garry's Restaurant - a typical family restaurant in town. The sign said 'fresh cut fries' - god knows we haven't had enough of them lately.

DSCN5515.jpg

We shared a poutine - grated mozzarella instead of curds.

DSCN5517.jpg

Toasted Clubhouse for me.

DSCN5519.jpg

Toasted BLT for Anna.

Need some help. I've got about a litre and a half of whipping cream and would like to find a way to use it up before I go. I've considered creme brule and creme caramel - but it's not quite cutting it. Any ideas?

2 c AP flour

1 T baking powder

1/2 t salt

1/4 c sugar

1 1/4 c cream

3/4 c dried fruit (in small pieces) or chocolate chips or whatever add-in you want.

Glaze:

3 T melter butter

2 T sugar

Preheat to 475F. Mix dry ingredients (including add-ins). Add cream and mix until combined. Pat into two 6" circles and cut each circle into 8 wedges. Put on ungreased baking sheet, glaze with butter, sprinkle with sugar and bake about 11 minutes until golden.

Easy peasy.

2 c AP flour

1 T baking powder

1/2 t salt

1/4 c sugar

1 1/4 c cream

3/4 c dried fruit (in small pieces) or chocolate chips or whatever add-in you want.

Glaze:

3 T melter butter

2 T sugar

Preheat to 475F. Mix dry ingredients (including add-ins). Add cream and mix until combined. Pat into two 6" circles and cut each circle into 8 wedges. Put on ungreased baking sheet, glaze with butter, sprinkle with sugar and bake about 11 minutes until golden.

Easy peasy.

Thanks - I shall make a test batch right now.

When I have extra whipping cream, first of all I freeze it for future use (not whipping, of course), but I would rather use such cream in its most luxurious way. Why not make strawberry (or other berry) shortcake (with or without whipping cream in the batter) and then top the fruit with whipped cream? I led a sadly deprived war-time childhood and can't ever get enough of these kinds of things. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

When I have extra whipping cream, first of all I freeze it for future use (not whipping, of course), but I would rather use such cream in its most luxurious way. Why not make strawberry (or other berry) shortcake (with or without whipping cream in the batter) and then top the fruit with whipped cream? I led a sadly deprived war-time childhood and can't ever get enough of these kinds of things. :raz:

Sadly - got no berries. Was hoping to find recipes that just use a lot of cream without having to find more ingredients on a holiday Monday.

DSCN5520.jpg

Test batch in the oven. I am instructionally challenged - so I cut each circle into 4 instead of 8. I took a little of my orange puree and added it to the melted butter I was brushing them with, then sprinkled with some evaporated cane syrup instead of white sugar.

I don't normally eat scone dough (cookie dough for sure) - but this stuff is very tasty!

DSCN5522.jpg

14 minutes later.

Damn Jess - those are really, really, really good! Wish I had some clotted cream and strawberry preserves.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Binned the batch of rice crispy squares - when I went to take them out they were wet and not crunchy on the bottom. So remade quickly with powdered ginger and they were half gone by the time I left emerg.

DSCN5455.jpg

Here are the wet gloppy bits from the bottom.

Kerry, could you retoast them in the oven and then crunch (technical term, that) them up as a topping for ice cream, or a crispy addition to a truffle center for a chocolate? Maybe with the Clementine puree?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I had decided as I sipped my first black coffee that I would have scrambled eggs and mushrooms for breakfast this morning. But as I surfed the web I stumbled across a post in Food 52 for poached scrambled eggs and decided to give it a go.

Apparently I should not attempt photography quite so early in the morning - I apologize for the blurry photos:

mushrooms.jpg

eggsd.jpg

Remarkably these eggs worked although draining them well is a challenge. They were soft, fluffy and quite similar to scrambled eggs without that fear of over- or undercooking them.

Maybe you could use a spatter screen to drain them on?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Binned the batch of rice crispy squares - when I went to take them out they were wet and not crunchy on the bottom. So remade quickly with powdered ginger and they were half gone by the time I left emerg.

DSCN5455.jpg

Here are the wet gloppy bits from the bottom.

Kerry, could you retoast them in the oven and then crunch (technical term, that) them up as a topping for ice cream, or a crispy addition to a truffle center for a chocolate? Maybe with the Clementine puree?

Nah - they were too far gone and there were coffee grounds on top of them!

I had decided as I sipped my first black coffee that I would have scrambled eggs and mushrooms for breakfast this morning. But as I surfed the web I stumbled across a post in Food 52 for poached scrambled eggs and decided to give it a go.

Apparently I should not attempt photography quite so early in the morning - I apologize for the blurry photos:

mushrooms.jpg

eggsd.jpg

Remarkably these eggs worked although draining them well is a challenge. They were soft, fluffy and quite similar to scrambled eggs without that fear of over- or undercooking them.

Maybe you could use a spatter screen to drain them on?

I dunno. Maybe a brand new one but mine is a bit too grotty!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN5522.jpg

14 minutes later.

Damn Jess - those are really, really, really good! Wish I had some clotted cream and strawberry preserves.

My favorite scone recipe. Don't know why anyone would ever buy a mix, these are so simple. Glad to help!!!