• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck Eggs - What is the best way to cook them?

Beth Wilson

I just returned from my first farmer's market of the year with a dozen duck eggs. I have never had a duck egg so I was wondering if there was a preferred way too cook them?

Scrambling them seems a waste of a unique egg. Any Suggestions?

Years ago when I was gifting them to friends they swore by them in baked goods like cakes. At the time I could not experiment so no first hand experience.

My favorite is sunnyside up, per the technique I learned on the Breakfast thread; fry in your choice of fat (I like 1 tbsp butter, 1 tsp truffle oil) on low heat until white is no longer transparent. Gently add about 2-4 tbsp water to the pan, cover, and let it steam done. It's the most glorious egg you ever had.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My favorite is sunnyside up, per the technique I learned on the Breakfast thread; fry in your choice of fat (I like 1 tbsp butter, 1 tsp truffle oil) on low heat until white is no longer transparent. Gently add about 2-4 tbsp water to the pan, cover, and let it steam done. It's the most glorious egg you ever had.

Sounds good! Will have to try this way. I usually screw up the sunnyside and end up with a mess. Will check out the thread.

A friend of mine who owns a patisserie told me that duck eggs should be substituted for hens eggs whenever possible. For example - egg tarts made from duck eggs have a richer, deeper flavour and will still look fresh hours after they are out from the oven. If you are selling egg tarts in a Yum Cha restaurant, this does not matter - because the tarts will be consumed soon after they are out of the oven. But if you are a patissiere - your tarts will be sitting on the shelf for hours afterwards. You need to make them with duck eggs.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

In the same vein, I worked at a place once that used them for pots de creme--brilliant. Based on that result I'd recommend them for any custard-type use.

Well, I had ice cream that used duck eggs once--I thought it was excessively eggy but it probably could have been tweaked to correct that.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I picked some up on friday as well! I made duck egg pasta, then made raviolis stuffed with duck confit and mushrooms. I also added a whole duck egg yolk to the center of the raviolis. Drizzled a little port reduction underneath them when plating and that combined with the runny yolk made for a great sauce. Highly recommended!

I just had duck egg Benedict (well, not exactly) ...........eggs poached a la Maggiethecat (perfect!), beautiful tomatoes from Paso Robles' Peacock Farms, crisp bacon and hollandaise. Wow, awesome ! I noticed that the whites were a little firmer than hens' eggs and more translucent. Delicious.

I noticed the yolk was really clear as well. Took some to my sisters this morning and she whipped up some awesome waffles. I left her a few to poach later in the week. I think I will try poaching them as well. The yolks are really large!