• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Metal straws?

Hassouni

Anyone use them for their highballs, swizzles, etc? Plastic straws look really tacky with a well-made drink. I'm just wondering if they contribute a metallic flavor as they're being used.....

Edited by Hassouni (log)

I have a set of metal spoon/straws. They are stainless steel, and I don't think they contribute flavor any more than flatwaredoes. I use them for drinks where the spoon is helpful (e.g. I have a drink that uses a cube of frozen aperol/citrus, and you break up the cube with the spoon and sip.) I have thought that a bit of careless sipping could chip your front tooth, though.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I'm quite fond of them for Juleps and other drinks that I'd normally serve in chilled steel cups - for those I use simple steel straws. Also, like KC, I've got a set of spoon/straws which I love for things like Caipirinhas and other muddled citrus drinks, which allow me to a) muddle as I'm drinking to modulate the amount of lime/orange/whatever in each sip, and b) receive that sip biting cold, since I can pre-chill the straws the same way I'd prechill a Julep cup. (Although not too chilled, or you end up with your lips stuck to them, like licking a lamppost in the wintertime.... :blink: )

If you're worried about chipping a tooth or whatever on steel, have you ever considered glass straws (ie large-bore pipettes, hollow stirring rods, or similar)? These also look very classy, but are less likely to cause physical damage.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I first saw them at a bar I frequent and I love their look and the fact that they are reusable. They don't impart a metallic taste to drinks. I am a little bothered by them though (like Mrs. slkinsey apparently) because they are cold and hard, but most likely it's just a question of habit/adjustment. Most people don't seem mind. I think I will end up buying a bunch of them just because I don't like plastic straws.