• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This Horrid Raddish

Lyle

I feel like a participant on the television version of Ripley's Believe It Or Not.

While cultivating the garden, I unearthed several giant raddishes, 8-10 lbs each. They are about the size of a football (both types, as the surface is quite irregular). Tasting them, they have a muted raddish flavor, with a quite woody texture. Not too woody; they are crisp and toothsome. Overall, a very plesant tasting. I have made soup, as reccommended by Larousse Gastronomique, with the greens which were oddly more flavorful than those of a normal "dwarf" raddish.

So what the hell do I do with these monsters? I would give some away, but my neighbors fear contact with such a hidious deformity. I will probably try to stew some. Surely there is something else. Is there?

Rice pie is nice.

Bibimbap intimidates me, much as Jin does.

:sad: Sorry.

You don't need a dolsot. You could put the rice in a skillet on a medium heat until the bottom crisps and then slide it into a noodle bowl and then scatter (bibim) your assorted stuff atop the rice (bap).

To ferment, just leave it in a cool dark place for three or four days with the container inside a larger container to catch the runoff.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Bibimbap intimidates me, much as Jin does.

:sad: Sorry.

Joking, Jin, joking. Replace intimidates with inspires. Really.

Might as well try this tonight. However, a portion must be without egg as my wife does not eat them. :sad:

But that still leaves alot of raddishes.

How well do they store as I have only cultivated small portions and otherwise purchased raddishes as needed?

Rice pie is nice.

See:

http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/STUDENTS/H...ang/kimchi5.htm

You can do it without the shrimp but the key is the red pepper powder.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I meant that you could make a BIG batch of kimchi, and then have it to eat for months. After all, it is a preserved vegetable. And I use kimchi as a side with bbq (or what subs for bbq), put it on sandwiches -- do all sorts of un-Korean things with it. Someday I plan to use it as a filling for dumplings ... yum.

Could it be trated like a daikon? Sliced rather thinly and pickled in the Japanese style? (More experienced pickle-makers will need to fill in the datails.)

I have also had it with dim sum, steamed and served with dipping sause. (I think XO sauce, but soy/vinegar/chili oil mic dues nicely as well.)

BTW, Kyle, the title of this thread is truly poetic! :laugh:

You could make them into sculptures. (Oaxaca Night of the Radishesl)

radishes1.jpg

Wow, that is freaky.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

giant raddishes, 8-10 lbs each. They are about the size of a football

where the heck do you live? three mile island!! put the radishes back in the ground, gather up the wife, kids and dog, and walk away.......never look back.

where the heck do you live? three mile island!! put the radishes back in the ground, gather up the wife, kids and dog, and walk away.......never look back.

Aw come on Rat. There is something to be said about a giant freaky looking crudite platter that looks like it came out of The Land Of The Giants.

I can tell that several bulbs simply grew together. I live in Texas, with lots of red soil. I missed them while harvesting the crop.

And, after a tough day, I would of course drink vodka with them throughout the night. Didn't I post about my last raddish party? Now I feel a bit guilty about eating them..

Edited by Lyle (log)

Rice pie is nice.