• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mijiu v Shaoxing/Huangjiu

I wonder if the SAQ in Quebec carries it? I did a search on their web site but didn't come up with anything but then my French is pretty much nonexistent. I'll maybe check them out unless someone already knows.

I checked and they don't carry it far as I could determine. You can select English as your preferred language on the SAQ site and then search for "China". Both the LCBO and the SAQ site list products by their country of origin.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

They also do a cheaper version which is only for cooking.

And here it is. I picked up a bottle in the supermarket this morning.

shaoxing2.jpg

It costs a mere ¥8.50 ($1.36 USD, £0.89 UK) as opposed to the ¥28 I think I paid for the better quality one. 

You may notice that the good one has a screw cap while the cheaper one has a cap like those on beer bottles. Also, it seems the Nazis don't rate the cheap one!

The company which makes them, 古越龙山(gǔ yuè lóng shān) has an English section of their website here.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

And here it is. I picked up a bottle in the supermarket this morning.

shaoxing2.jpg

It costs a mere ¥8.50 ($1.36 USD, £0.89 UK) as opposed to the ¥28 I think I paid for the better quality one. 

You may notice that the good one has a screw cap while the cheaper one has a cap like those on beer bottles. Also, it seems the Nazis don't rate the cheap one!

The company which makes them, 古越龙山(gǔ yuè lóng shān) has an English section of their website here.

My cheap bottle -That I picked up in Chicago- says; Zhejiang gu yue long shan and has a screw cap. It says "zhuang yuan hong", It has black and gold letters on a red background. One of these days I will get my nephews to show me how to put a picture here. Until then, I apologize for the long verbal description.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

My cheap bottle -That I picked up in Chicago- says; Zhejiang gu yue long shan and has a screw cap. It says "zhuang yuan hong", It has black and gold letters on a red background.

Zhejiang is the province where Shaoxing is. 'Gu yue long shan' is the name of the company, and 'zhuang yuan hong' means 'top grade'.

This company is China's largest producer of Shaoxing wine and has many varieties. You can see some here. Note the wild range of prices - and packaging.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Zhejiang is the province where Shaoxing is. 'Gu yue long shan' is the name of the company, and 'zhuang yuan hong' means 'top grade'.

This company is China's largest producer of Shaoxing wine and has many varieties. You can see some here. Note the wild range of prices - and packaging.

Thank you- Yes, I noticed some rather exotic packaging. Also, it seemed like 500ml bottles were standard.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)