• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric Griddles

ElsieD

I'm interested in buying an electric griddle if I can find one that is worth buying. Does anyone have one that they would recommend? I used to have a non-electric one that I used on my gas stove but I have an induction stove now and I can't find a non-electric one that works with induction, hence the interest in an electric one. Please note that I am looking for a griddle, not a skillet. Thanks in advance.

I have several electric griddles - most are vintage.

I usually use my Cuisinart Griddler, opened flat it gives as much area as most flat griddles and with the interchangeable plates, is more versatile, a multi-purpose appliance.

The Griddler heats up rapidly and the heat is as even across the plate as any but the most expensive (commercial) griddles, and is superior to most of the flat griddles.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 7 years later...

Better late than never @ElsieD -- I have a DeLonghi Livenza grill that has a griddle surface.  I don't use the DeLonghi as much as I had hoped.  Pancakes and waffles come out well, as does a Georgian weighted chicken preparation.  Sadly flatbreads are not practical as the griddle surface is long and narrow.  Plus the griddle surface has a lip around the edge.

I've been wanting to try dosa and injera and such.  Not to mention lefse.  I looked into purchasing a mitad or a lefse maker, but these seemed impractical in my situation.  I took an idea from Modernist Bread to try a crepe maker as an alternative.  Commercial electric crepe makers are large and lovely, and reach high temperatures.  But they require seasoning, amperage, and someone to transport them.  I looked into home crepe makers.  After about a week of research I chose the Krampouz.  It is a 33cm round, flat griddle.

The Krampouz came today.  I have not yet cooked with it but I spent a couple hours profiling the surface temperatures.  There are 8 temperature settings, although the control is continuously adjustable.  I did not find any hotspots or cold spots, but the temperatures varied a bit as the thermostat cycled off and on.

Average measured temperatures for the 8 marked settings:

1  152C/305F

2  170C/337F

3  174C/345F

4  180C/356F

5  198C/387F

6  205C/400F

7  224C/435F

8  232C/450F

The peak maximum temperature I recorded was 239C/463F.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I ended up buying the Breville Smart Grill and am happy with it.

Good buy!

What I like about it is that the heating elements are in the plates and that they are removable for cleaning. I bought an extra set so I can have two flat or two ribbed.

p

• Like 1

The Breville looks a lot like my DeLonghi but without the waffle plates.  (The DeLonghi came with two flat plates, two ribbed plates, and two waffle plates.)

What are the dimensions of the Breville flat plates?  From the pictures on amazon the Breville flat plates have a lip just like the DeLonghi flat plates, which is something I wanted to avoid for baking flatbreads.  Like the Breville plates the DeLonghi plates go in the dishwasher.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 year later...

After a good life of service (at least 10, maybe 15 years), it appears as if my Cuisinart Griddler has given up the ghost. I can't complain, at an amortized cost of about $8 a year.

I imagine at this point it comes down to replacing it with the same product or the Breville; but, is there another electric griddle I might take a look at?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I guess I really don't want just an electric griddle, since the most use the Cuisinart got was for panini. 

Narrows it down quite a bit - Breville and Cuisinart seem to be at the forefront in multitasking.

And there are a lot of electric griddles on the market; griddles which don't have the heated top for pressing.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Tasty Travails - My Blog

This Cuisinart is kind of tempting...

image.thumb.png.eec6681b7e2feaa3ebf50e5540c49308.png

Yet I'm always a little worried about the digital LCD stuff right next to something which gets hot and moist. Though there has been no problem with the CSO.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Yet I'm always a little worried about the digital LCD stuff right next to something which gets hot and moist. Though there has been no problem with the CSO.

I would be much more worried about the idea that you can sear anything at 250°F!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

When I was growing up in Scotland (and for 600 years before that), a 'griddle '' was known as a 'girdle'. How confused I was later when I discovered what a 'girdle' also meant. I still confuse the two if I don't pay attention.

We never had electric girdles, though.  So far as I know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I wonder why the Breville only has one ' ribbed ' platr

thus you have to buy a second one id you want grill marks ob both sides of

your item :

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BGR820RP-Smart-Grill-Ribbed/dp/B003SIFCMC/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/131-5570512-5638352?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003SIFCMC&pd_rd_r=029f9988-0b61-40f3-a6e2-7c282c4c1f34&pd_rd_w=YvinK&pd_rd_wg=ULr5J&pf_rd_p=f325d01c-4658-4593-be83-3e12ca663f0e&pf_rd_r=JQ4ZYP9CP5WR0Y6DJ88F&psc=1&refRID=JQ4ZYP9CP5WR0Y6DJ88F

ggggg.thumb.jpg.5e0ee065f22cebd1b1f1ec54a0903bc5.jpg

maybe not important ?

it is very cool looking

where did you order from ?

Amazon has them stock

did you find a better price ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

I have had this one for about 5 years and much to my liking:

https://www.williams-sonoma.ca/breville-smart-grill-griddle-and-panini-press

The advantage of this one in my mind is that rather than a heating element below the plates that heat them by convection, this model has the heating elements embedded in the plates - much more efficient - capacity is larger as well. Good weight to the sides so you don't have to really press hard and the hinge allows the evening of the top plate to ensure an even surface

It's also in stock 😄

p

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

all the different units i looked into

both Bev and Cuisi

seem to have complains on how log the non-stick surface lasts.

Not really too surprising, as many people have complaints about non-stick surfaces on any and all cooking products. Be they electric appliances, pots and pans, etc. etc.  As we all know, nonstick isn't a perfect surface; why, it's not even good for fond making 😉 . In my opinion, as long as it's not cracking and chipping off, most people have no idea even how to clean nonstick stuff. 

Also - don't read the reviews! Seriously, most reviews are written when people are unhappy, and they vent their frustration that way.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My fond-Less set is fine

I wonder if non-stick

simply can't handle temps over 350 or so

and then degrades faster @ 450

I take all reviews in , w a bit of skepticism 

1 hour ago, palo said:

I have had this one for about 5 years and much to my liking:

https://www.williams-sonoma.ca/breville-smart-grill-griddle-and-panini-press

The advantage of this one in my mind is that rather than a heating element below the plates that heat them by convection, this model has the heating elements embedded in the plates - much more efficient - capacity is larger as well. Good weight to the sides so you don't have to really press hard and the hinge allows the evening of the top plate to ensure an even surface

It's also in stock 😄

p

This is the one we have and are very happy with it.

• 2 years later...

I have the Cuisinart Griddler because it has a few different features/options (reversible flat/grill plates, swappable waffle plates [sold separately]). I've been pretty happy with it. It's smaller than a conventional griddle but it doesn't take up a huge amount of space.