• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help from the lard-o-philes...

Pierogi

My fat is rendering away in the slow cooker.

I have a "warm" setting and a "low" setting.  It seems like the low is too hot and the warm isn't hot enough, so I'm switching back and forth.  Since this is my first time doing this, I'm not sure how picky to be.

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

You can get a router motor speed controller (about $20.00), plug the slow cooker in, set the cooker at the highest temperature, and adjust the dial on the controller instead.

You can get 0 heat to full heat or any where in between using the controller.

dcarch

• Like 1

As long as it's below 100C, there shouldn't be any issue with brown flavors developing.

Just curious, do you consider any "brown flavors" in lard to be deleterious?

(If so you might be surprised by many SE Asian - and maybe even some Southern Chinese - dishes)

Just curious, do you consider any "brown flavors" in lard to be deleterious?

(If so you might be surprised by many SE Asian - and maybe even some Southern Chinese - dishes)

Depends on application. For baking, you generally want neutral flavored lard. For savory, you might want porkier. My point was regardless of whether you want brown flavors or not, you're not going to get them in a slow cooker, regardless of heat level, as long as there's still water left in the pot. Setting it on low or warm won't affect the final outcome except that one will be slower.

PS: I am a guy.

So, I've finally finished.  It should never take this long, but we've had a death in the family precluded by a month long terrible illness sooooo... yeah, you can see how that made my rendering have to start and stop again.

I feel like I've screwed up.   I only got a quart of lard out of that whole bunch of fat and LOTS of cracklins...like so many that I feel like I should toss them now because I'll never use them up.  

The lard is lovely, though, so I'm glad I got at least some :)

Freeze the cracklins in "serving size" portions - that is, the amount you would add to a dish of vegetables or greens or add to cornbread.

A quick heat up in the microwave with crisp them nicely.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Freeze the cracklins in "serving size" portions - that is, the amount you would add to a dish of vegetables or greens or add to cornbread.

A quick heat up in the microwave with crisp them nicely.

Ok.  I'll do that.  They are in the fridge now...cooling off a bit.  I guess I'll put them in little freezer zip locks.  Thanks Andie.

Ok.  I'll do that.  They are in the fridge now...cooling off a bit.  I guess I'll put them in little freezer zip locks.  Thanks Andie.

I hate to see anything so tasty go to waste.  I add them to beans, greans, potatoes - both white and sweet - root veg and there is even a wonderful dip made with sharp cheddar, sour cream and cracklins with minced scallions - can be spiced up with a bit of taco seasoning too.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I hate to see anything so tasty go to waste.  I add them to beans, greans, potatoes - both white and sweet - root veg and there is even a wonderful dip made with sharp cheddar, sour cream and cracklins with minced scallions - can be spiced up with a bit of taco seasoning too.

I hate to waste too.  I just wasn't prepared for this amount of cracklins.  I'm glad you suggested freezing them.  They will be lovely with fresh green beans in the summer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My local butcher, who is trying to bring the hipster aesthetic to my neighborhood, charges $8/lb for leaf lard, and $8/pint if he renders it himself.  Yes, they are organic pigs and whatnot.  But still -- this strikes me as rather outrageous.  I mean -- is that what people are paying for this in other parts of the country???  I'm in New York City.  

SLB - I live in the SF Bay Area and that price doesn't surprise me at all.  That said, I still think it's ridiculous.  Try to get in good with your butcher, though.  I have a deal with a local, organic butcher and he only charges me $2/lb for leaf.  I just rendered 5lbs of it a couple days back, yielded about 2.2 qts.