• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crab Legs

Daniel

We hit a local place last night that has all you can eat Snow crab...they also have a carving station and hot and cold buffet lines, but whatever

Crab Legs...steamy and full ..... they put a kids playbucket in the middle of the table and give you piles of napkins, shell crackers, and cocktail forks

When you have sucked in all the seafood and butter you can its time to waddle past the salad bar to the dessert table....last night I got the first cut of a very moist tasty carrot cake ( that counts as a vegetable right) and some pecan pie to slide into any open spaces

Crab legs - butter - maybe some lemon...good to go

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 3 years later...

I'm making crab legs for the first time tonight, and after reading recipe after recipe (or, I guess "Method after method"), I think I want to try grilling them.However, I am a little perplexed. On the comments sections of many a blog, some people say they cut open the side of the shells before grilling. Wouldn't that dry the meat out? On the other hand, does any flavor from basting actually make it through the shell to the meat? I would love some input from anyone who has experience grilling crab. Thanks.

Are you talking about King Crab legs that are already cooked? If so they really just need to be heated gently with some classic garlic butter and lemon to dip.

I don't think it matters much weather they're cracked. Make sure they're thawed, and grill them till heated thoroughly. If they dry too much they'll be too salty.

As far as dipping sauce try Beurre Monte.

As to basting, no - nothing will penetrate that thick shell. Rather than a baste consider a dipping sauce. As ChefCrash mentioned saltiness can be an issue with these guys. I generally scissor off a piece and taste after nuking to just bring to room temp. If it tastes really salty my preferred method is a quick dunk in a large pot of boiling water to try to release some of the salt. Not sure if the science of that is true but it seems to work in my experience. I do not think a grill is going to add anything to the taste and would only do it if I was grilling other items and that was the more convenient method of heating.

Crack them, lay them on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil (or doubled regular strength foil), and throw some ice cubes in there. Seal the foil up like a packet and lay them on the grill (or toss in the oven at about 350-375°). As Heidi says, since the crab legs are already cooked, and the shell is so impervious, grilling on direct heat isn't going to do anything to them of note, other than toughen them up. The steaming, especially if you also toss in some garlic and lemon slices, will do far more to improve the flavor. It's *not* like grilling a raw lobster tail.....*that* is spectacular, but these legs are usually already cooked.

Unless you're lucky enough to have raw crab (or softshells). In which case, well, there's not much you can do to them that will mess them up.....

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"