• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Washing a LOT of aprons and not getting the strings tied!

JeanneCake

I don't have a laundry service at work; I do my own towels (but we use more paper towels and less side towels) and aprons because I have a huge capacity washer and dryer and both have a sanitizing cycle. We have only about 5 dozen white aprons with long ties, but the most I am washing at any given time is about 15- 18.

I try to put in a few large bath towels that I don't care about (I get a little overzealous with the bleach if truth be told) so the apron ties don't get too tangled up, but they do and I am getting tired of all the untangling. Even if I untangle them after the wash, they're just as badly tangled when they come out of the dryer.

Any ideas?

The ties are probably less dirty than the fronts, yes? Have you tried tying them together in a simple, loose one-loop knot behind the aprons before you toss them in? That's what I do with my aprons (although admittedly I only wash 5-8 at a time, that being how many I've got.) It works very well - the ties come out clean but they don't tangle or get weird in either washer or drier.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I put aprons into a zipped mesh bag and then have no trouble with the long ties. ...but then I wash not more than two at a time...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

For very long apron strings, I pair the strings and fold them in half.

Then I tie an overhand knot at the center with all 4 strands as one, BUT instead of pulling the end free I leave it as a little loop and tighten the beginning of the knot around this loop. This will hold through the wash and dry, and release easily.