• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Consulting Chef Opportunity

ChefJohnny

So I was approached by a local restaurant to fix their food program. They are very newly opened, 8 weeks-ish or so. Ive gotten to know the owners over the past few weeks, as I started to go there for the bar + music. I also DJ there once a week. Anyway, Ive never done any consultancy gig before and am trying to find out what to charge for my services. If my background would make some kind of difference, my bio is in my profile. After some googling, it seems that its either A) priced per hour depending on area or B) priced as a flat rate, either weekly or monthly. Just looking for some more numbers to compare.

This job would entail:

- rewriting the menu

- evaluating, fix, and maintain a more proper food and labor cost

- train staff on new menu and procedures

- fire/hire new staff if necessary

- institute proper inventory procedures

Thanks in advance for any info.

- Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Maybe you could try thinking about what would be a fair yearly wage you would earn as their Exec. Chef, figure out how long you will consult, and then extrapolate a price. Maybe add a bit more.

Like, if you would make 50k for a year, and you would work for them for 4 months, then it would be something like 16k. Maybe charge them an even 20k for example.

I dunno, but it seems a place to start. You would expect, at the minimum, to get paid what they would pay a non-consulting exec. chef I would assume. You obviously don't want to take advantage of their situation (they wouldn't ask if they didn't desperately need help) but you should get value for your time.