• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

driving to the city on New Year's eve

helenas

Could somebody enlighten me about driving to the city downtown around 10pm?

We're going through holland tunnel. Are there any limitations on incoming/outgoing traffic? What about parking? Any web site where i can find the latest information from the Port Authority (they own the issue, true?)

And to make it food related, should we have dinner at home, or we can find something open at that time around Tonic club which is close to Delancey Street.

Thank you so much, :forever grateful emoticon:

Rich and I attended the festivities in NYC for the year 2000 celebration. there were all the rumors of terrorist attacks and the end of civilisation from Y2K, so we figured it sounded like fun. All that day the streets were virtually deserted, it was as if not only did nobody come into the city, but a good many residents had left. It was like the set of a Sci Fi movie about the end of the world.

We hit up PJ Clarkes, Had dinner at Cafe Sorrento, and ended up with ales at McSorelys. Ignoring all advice to head to Times Square by noon, we left McSorelys at 10:30pm, took the subway to the Times Square station, and emerged like 3 blocks from the festivities.

All in all I would not expect any problems with parking as most "normal" folks seem to want to avoid the hullabaloo. You probably want to call ahead about restaurants being open. We dined at Felidias, and Lidia was vowing not to do it again as the crowd was so sparse...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Could somebody enlighten me about driving to the city downtown around 10pm?

Which city. Philadelphia or NYC?

Is there a Holland Tunnel in Philly? :blink:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

About 6 years ago I made a last minute decision to drive into the city through the Lincoln tunnel about 10p (to go to times square). The tunnel was empty and I was able to get parking at the first self park lot outside the tunnel without any problem.

I would not expect problems, especially at the Holland but you never know.

Keith

Don't people in the Philly area say "center city" instead of "the city"? I do love Philly, actually, and their Delancey Street is worlds above NY's Delancey street. I went to a play on Delancey in Philly and then went to a great restaurant called Astral Plane right nearby.