• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stone soup recipes?

Kouign Aman

I've read many versions of the Stone Soup story.

The gist is that a village is not willing to share its food. Someone started a soup using only a stone in the water. As the villagers gathered in curiousity, the cook would taste the soup and pronounce it delicious, although it would be slightly better if it contained ...an onion. One of the villagers gets caught up in the hype, and unearths an onion previously kept stashed. the next time, some carrots, and so on, til a piece of meat or a chicken is finally contributed, and the entire village shares the delicious soup, and think! It all came from a stone!

There's a telling of the story linked in this thread: Stone Curry.

The "recipe" I've made most often is onion, carrot, celery, tomato, chicken, salt, herbs, served with bread or over rice. The most fun part for kids is finding the "perfect" stone and scrubbing it clean. (I boil it in other water too, first. Bless the microwave).

What are your preferred stone soup ingredients? And do you prefer a metamorphic or igneous starter? ;)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

They have to be local, sustainable rocks. Roasted with salt, a squeeze of lemon and olive oil...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

LOL, you guys are too funny.

In a serious vein, I don't really have a preferred recipe for stone soup, since to my mind, it's a soup made from left over bit of stuff that you've managed to scrounge up. That said, most of em lately feature a white chicken stock (sometimes fortified with pork bones) and sometimes a sofrito.

At the soup kitchen I volunteer at, I whipped up a stone soup from canned diced tomatoes, some left over roast pork from the day before (and the jus it leaked), and a bunch of shelled edamame donated from the local school district. The first time we ever ran out of soup, lol. Sadly, it was lightning in a bottle.

We have a fantastic local beach with perfect oval smooth stones. Maybe a seafood chowder? :smile:

That is the answer.... Beach stones - Seafood soup, Field stones - Vegetable soup, what else we got ?

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 4 months later...